Author Topic: James Long and Sarah Busby  (Read 1465 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Long and Sarah Busby
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 April 17 04:30 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, everyone. Very helpful lookups for me and links. I await from GRO the DC for the 1849 death of Elizabeth Long at Cote and James Long of Cote similar age and died a couple of months earlier in 1849.

The link to the Marriage Bonds is fabulous and I note some records for various male Busbys who could be brothers of Sarah. Locations are interesting. When I can search the total document I'll see if any other Sarah Busbys.

Carpenter is a common occupation but it ran in the Long family and my great and 2 x gt grandfathers (he the son of a James and Sarah Long chr 1805 at Standlake) were both carpenters.

Ancestry results put Banns under Marriages (no separate category) and show the Event as Marriage and at end of the line can have spouse name or the word Banns. But when you look at the image it differentiates Marriages from Banns. If they were both 24 then marriage by Licence on the marriage record is interesting as there is a record of Banns in 1787 for them. Maybe no parental permission given for Sarah? There is quite a jumble of records for Banns for a James Long with both a Sarah Busby and a Sarah Minchin around the same place and time and both women from Bampton. I am still putting all this information together.

The main mystery for me as a Long is who was the James married Sarah Busby 11 Oct 1792  - the one chr 1765 at Hanborough to William and Ann or the one chr 1768 at Standlake to William's brother George and his wife Elizabeth as is in so many trees produced,  though on the next register page to James' 23 May1768 chr is James' death 02 Aug 1769 both with parents George and Elizabeth.

Thanks again for the help - greatly appreciated. Marilyn