Author Topic: William Francis Power and Mary Russell Power  (Read 839 times)

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Francis Power and Mary Russell Power
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon everybody. Ahead of our visit to Cork in August, I was hoping you wonderful people could help with a road block we have encountered!

The following is a link to the marriage record of my GGGGGrand Parents, William and Mary Power (note Russell is spelt Russel in the online record):

http://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633155#page/36/mode/1up

Are these records available for the public to physically view?

Mary Russell had two brothers in the Dominican Order and two of her sons also joined the Order, more on them later.

I believe I have found the Baptism records for most of their children as follows:

Bartholomew Power Baptised Sept 1827  Sponsors: Bartholomew Russell and Jane Leahy

Charles Patrick Power Baptised  Aug 1831  Sponsors: Thomas Russell and BARBARA POWER

Fame Maria Power Baptised April 1833  Sponsors: Edward Power and Mary Flynn

Thomas Power Baptised 26 Sep 1834  Sponsors: Thomas Russell and Catherine Browne

Jane Geraldine Power Baptised 28/12/1838  sponsors: Joseph Flynn and Mary E Murphy

Garrett Dominick Power Baptised 1st March 1842 Sponsor WILLIAM PIERCE POWER

Now the roadblock, well a few actually...

I can not find the baptism/birth record for their two eldest children, Barbara Mary Power and William Pierce Power.

I can not find the death record of William Francis Power. I believe I have his baptism record in 1795...which gives a strong clue to his parents  ;D

Barbara Mary Power was born c1821 and married Bernard Murray (see dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940) in August 1852. There is a reference to the marriage in the Cork Examiner 11th August 1852 - which I have not seen this article. Barbara and Bernard moved to Newry via Dublin. Barbara died in Newry in 1879. Mary Russell Power also moved in with the Murray's probably following the death of her husband William Francis Power. There is a reference/obituary in The Cork Examiner that a William F Power died on 12th October 1861 aged 66years - I have yet to see this article.

William Pierce Power migrated to Australia and according to his Australian marriage certificate was born in Cork in 1820 and according to his Aussie Death Certificate was born in Cork in 1823.

Thanking you in anticipation!

Oh and any other information people find about the Power/Russell family would also be appreciated.

Kind regards

David Power
Melbourne

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Francis Power and Mary Russell Power
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon everybody. Ahead of our visit to Cork in August, I was hoping you wonderful people could help with a road block we have encountered!

The following is a link to the marriage record of my GGGGGrand Parents, William and Mary Power (note Russell is spelt Russel in the online record):

http://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633155#page/36/mode/1up

Are these records available for the public to physically view?
The Register is presumably still held locally by St.Mary's Cathedral, to see it you would have to make contact with the present priest, what reaction you would get I've no idea.
http://corkcathedral.ie/
I can not find the death record of William Francis Power.

Not unusual, death's are difficult to find in Ireland before Civil Registration, and even after Civil Registration, as you can see there are no deaths on the NLI site for the parish. If you do get a chance to view the register you could ask if there is a register for deaths, it may exist and was simply not imaged.
Although look at this list it doesn't look like there is a register.
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0041&parish=St.%20Mary%27s,%20Cork%20city

Obviously the death in the newspaper of 1861 would be worth seeing.

Have you already looked through the register for the missing baptisms?

When the images of all Civil Certs come online (sometime) it may be possible to find more records for the family, particular marriages and deaths if they occurred after 1864.

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinnann, thank you for your interest and suggestions.

I will manually go through the register that is available online and see what I can find.

I will contact the Cathedral ahead of our visit and the Cork City Library.

Thanks again

David Power

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
 Hello
You are so lucky having a Hoilday in Cork.
I was in Ireland a few months back.
We landed in Cork then caught  the train to Cobh to vist
the Titanic Musem .
We are now saving up for our next trip 😊
All the best.

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Scribble thank you for your kind wishes! Don't reckon it will be much of a holiday with all the research I will have to do  :P Seriously, we can not wait to visit this beautiful country and it's gorgeous cities. We are in cork for 4 nights and I am hoping to get as much research done ahead of our arrival so that I can enjoy the sights outside of the archival rooms! Cheers David Power