Author Topic: New York marriage 1860  (Read 490 times)

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New York marriage 1860
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I'm trying to find details of the marriage of John Hood and Frances Bradley in New York on 1st Oct 1860. This information was detailed on the birth register entry of their son David in Tain, Scotland in 1872.
John was born in Rossshire, Scotland and would have been approx. 38 (so it could possibly have been his second marriage but this is purely a guess?) whereas Frances was born in Surrey, England and would have been approx. 24.
I have no definitive information about either of them prior to 1871 at which time they appear on the Scottish census as living in Tain with 3 children, all seemingly born in Grey, Canada. The dates of birth of the children would suggest that, unless they were already resident there, they had moved to Canada by no later 1863 and had emigrated to Scotland around 1869. To date, despite help on this site, I have been unable to locate birth details for any of these 3 children.
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks
Mostly from in and around the Birmingham area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New York marriage 1860
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
From earlier topic-
Here is a John Hood noted in 1858 as the owner of Lot 11, Concession 2 SDR (South of the Durham Road) in Bentinck Township, Grey County (southeast of the village of Hanover). This would suggest he was there earlier than you think.  It changed hands in 1862 when it was owned by a Robert Leslie. Unfortunately, the Hoods don't show up in the 1861 Census in Bentinck Township.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New York marriage 1860
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey, I was really hoping to try and find a copy of a marriage certificate or at least register entry to see if that showed any additional information such as parents names or even witnesses.
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks
Mostly from in and around the Birmingham area