Author Topic: William Grundy mariner b approx 1806  (Read 2672 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: William Grundy mariner b approx 1806
« Reply #36 on: Monday 24 April 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
On GR a record is showing for
British army records of a private in 2nd division lifeguards ....Is that the same as lifeguards in swimming pools or a totally different meaning .?

Birth 1807 fits with our sailor  and birthplace Worseley is between Farnmouth and Salford  Lancashire
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 24 April 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
The Lifeguards are a very important regiment  :)

http://www.army.mod.uk/28088.aspx

I am not sure about looking to Farnworth etc. Those records re William show Falmouth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 24 April 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood you.re a mine of reliable information

I.m on a detective hunch now and trying to find a connection though Berwick name

It looks like on of the possible Sarah Grundy s married a William Berwick  in 1828 ( after births of Sarah and Ann Grundy 1822 and 1827 )

I didn't see any connections

But there is a post about Heeley/Healey's
 Sarah's  Son in laws sister
Martha Healey married john Jackson Berwick in 1864 at Walton on the hill .. # Beswick

He was a wheelwright in 1861 with father Timothy Berwick  a baker in Everton #Beswick

Looking for the missing link now I'm sure wheelwrights came up in one search as did Worsely

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 April 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
The link to the Healey post ....Sorry i thought id posted it already

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=709529.msg5528843#msg5528843

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 24 April 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
The wheelwright  connection was

A Will : 19 march  1856
William  Grundy to Sarah Grundy widow and Mary gee Grundy  spinster daughter

Don't know how old this William was ..I believe there are 3 generations of lancashire  William Grundy  one fought in the Napoleonic wars

There is also William Grundy shipwright married to Isabella baptising their daughter Sarah in 1822

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 03:36 BST (UK) »
A couple of outside chances you may not have considered:

Marriage at Cheadle 4 Jan 1824 William Grundey & Sarah Brown.  Both OTP & no occupations stated.  Wits John James & Henry Smith

1847, Marriage at Liverpool, Register Office or Registrar Attended – John Foster & Sarah Grundy.

1851 Census, Liverpool Street, Eccleston (all born Sutton)
John Foster 56 Farmer
Sarah Foster 46 Wife
John Foster 20 Stone Mason

There is also a younger couple named John & Sarah Foster in 1851, but I think her maiden name was Neill / O'Neil
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks jomot.  ...I.m  now led to believe The William named as father mariner on the girls marriage records was actually William Grundy and third mother was called Mary not Sarah ......The bishops transcript of 1828 had mistranscribed the name on parish register it is Mary

So i need to re  organise notes and work backwards again bhopefully all the research on William and Sarah Grundy and  the children of William and Harriet Northeast with same first names will come in useful for other researchers

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 27 April 17 01:38 BST (UK) »
Mistake in last post

I mean William Beswick was Mary Grundy.s husband

I can't afford to spend money on these girls birth certificates especially as we may not have the right ones .Mum wants me to concentrate on her grandmother by birth not the adoptive mary ann nee Healey

so am doing detective work around where they or and their mother may have lived in 1841. 
george Healey was a witness on and Sarah Grundy  on Edward and Mary Ann's wedding
And the  married siblings were in turn witnesses they were living in Toxteth 

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 27 April 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
I can't afford to spend money on these girls birth certificates especially as we may not have the right ones .Mum wants me to concentrate on her grandmother by birth not the adoptive mary ann nee Healey

So who is your mother's grandmother, and what do you definitely know about her? 

When you say "the adoptive mary ann nee Healey" do you mean the one born 1843 that Heywood found?  If so why do you think she is adopted, and what is her relationship to the person you are trying to research? 

Unfortunately sometimes the only way to positively follow the person you are researching may be to buy one or two certificates of potentially connected people as its the only way to establish facts.   

At the moment  - from this and your other posts – you seem to be chasing random people called Mary, William or Sarah, so £9.25 spent on a certificate could save you a lot of wasted time & effort.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.