Author Topic: Theatre Royal, Dublin  (Read 1255 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Theatre Royal, Dublin
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
I have a printed broadside from Messrs. Laurie and Whittle (London) of parody by William Kertland (whom I've asked about before) ofa piece about the unfortunate Miss Bailey and it's dated to 16th June 1806 - and L and W are always particular.  On it, they refer to a 'Mr. R. Jones' who sang the piece 'with unbounded applause' at the Theatre Royal, Dublin.

I had understood that tyhe Thea

I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Theatre Royal, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Theatre Royal, Dublin.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Dunno what happened...

I wrote that I have a printed broadside of a piece entitled The Unfortunate Miss Bailey for which William Kertland - someone whom I've asked about before - wrote a parody, No Rest in the Grave, printed by Messrs. Laurie and Whittle (London) on 16th June 1806.  L and W were very particular about their dating. On copy, too, they refer to a Mr. R. Jones who sang this parody at the Theatre Royal Dublin: but my understanding was that the Royal patent was not granted until the then king visited Dublin in 1821.

Doesn't stack up, does it?

So - were earlier theatres named 'Royal'?

And can anyone give me any information about Mr. R. Jones.  I have one
reference only, from 1807 and an appearance in Lpondon.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia has information on the first Theatre Royal in Dublin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_Royal,_Dublin
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 17 05:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reference.  Anything on Jones, anybody?
I've looked at John L. Greene's book on the thetare in Dublin during the relevant period and have consulted those newspapers accessible to me online - but - nix.

roly

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
He made his debut in London in 1808.

This is a good resource to see if he shows up afterwards...

https://archive.org/stream/previctoriandram00hughiala/previctoriandram00hughiala_djvu.txt

A Frederick Edward Jones took over the Dublin theatre from Richard Daly in 1803. Perhaps a relative.

Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
mentioned on this site

http://www.mustrad.org.uk/enth79.htm

the ballad is Roud number 4549

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Frederick Edward Jones born in Meath 1759, he was also known a 'Buck Jones' and was thought to be one of the handsomest men of his time in Dublin.
During his lifetime he would make and lose a fortune due to his involvement in the Theatre in Dublin.
Jones would have his Mansion on Clonliffe road furnished and decorated to the highest standard, it's believed that he had the bridge on Russel St over the canal into what is Jones Road constructed for easy access to his Mansion 'Clonliffe House'.
He opened Daly's Theatre in Crowe St and also furnished it to a high standard at huge personal expense,
By 1798 with rebellion in the air  Dalys closed, it would take 4-5 years before it reopened but by then he had fallen foul of society writers and other Theatre owners of the era and they basically destroyed his character.
The final straw for Jones was when he had a licence refused by Govt to open a 'Theatre Royal', his debts mounted and he spent several years in a Debtors prison, on release he relied on the charity of an old friend who gave him a Cabin on the grounds of where Mountjoy prison now stands, he died there in 1834.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Several references to the above man here
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

also referred to as Master of the Revels

including 2 sons Talbot and Charles Jones

There is a man by the name Talbot Jones mentioned in the will of Robert Plampin Wallis 1871 address given as Tudor Lodge,Tudord Road Upper Norwood Surrey
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTMW-C7W?i=639&cc=1921305

1871 English Census shows  Richard Talbot Jones married to Amante Matthew he was born Dublin circa 1803

daughter Amante born Dublin 1867 fathers occupation Clerk Ecclesiastical Commission
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03466/2272880.pdf