Author Topic: Dungannon Library Newspaper Look-up 1986  (Read 1148 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dungannon Library Newspaper Look-up 1986
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone local to Dungannon who would kindly look at The Tyrone Courier on microfilm in the library to see if there is a death notice or obituary for Robert Denis McElroy, known as Denis.  He died on Tuesday 28 January 1986 in Eaglescliffe, Stockton on Tees.  He was born in 1914 and lived at Eskermore, near Augher, Co Tyrone.  I believe the Tyrone Courier is published Friday weekly, so would be grateful if someone could look at the issues for 31 Jan and those in February.  Many thanks for any help.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungannon Library Newspaper Look-up 1986
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
Have you considered sending an email direct to the library and asking if they could oblige? Some, if you explain you do not live in the area, and as you have a date so it is not a 'blanket' several years type search, will be willing to help, provided they have the microfilm available:

https://www.librariesni.org.uk/Libraries/Pages/Dungannon-Library.aspx
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks scotmum, just thought I'd ask if anyone was local to Dungannon.  I have visited before and done my own research, in fact hubbie and I were told to keep quiet as we were disturbing the "students" - young people on their phones - by our comments when we found something!  Thanks for the link.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
...were told to keep quiet  we were disturbing the "students"... by our comments when we found something! 

I've been known to let out the odd 'yell of delight', when finding something of help when searching through microfilms at a library too.    ;D
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline veryoldman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
I'm also from the big city of dungannon. Wouldn't change it for the world lol