Author Topic: Edward and Henry J Riley and their mother Lucy Rily  (Read 916 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward and Henry J Riley and their mother Lucy Rily
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Henry and Edward went to Canada on 4th August 1905 on the ship Bananan

I can find a birth record for a Henry James mmn Smith in 1891 but can't find Edward

My searches suggest Edward & Henry departed Liverpool for Montreal with numerous other young adults 24th August 1905 on Vessel Bavarian?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Henry and Edward went to Canada on 4th August 1905 on the ship Bananan

I can find a birth record for a Henry James mmn Smith in 1891 but can't find Edward

My searches suggest Edward & Henry departed Liverpool for Montreal with numerous other young adults 24th August 1905 on Vessel Bavarian?
Keyboard86

sorry - yes on checking the images it was the Bavarian on 24th August. It had been mis-transcribed

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
.... wonder if she had joined them in Canada as a family member has found a record for a Lucy Riley in Chapleau Ontario and that is where the boys lived when they got older. any help would be truly appreciated.

Do you happen to know what sort of record was found?

Maureen

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
its seems that on a record attached to Edwards marriage cert it says father deceased and mother Lucy from Clapham .........there is a Clapham in Canada but to get there she would have to show up on a travel record somewhere for her ........unless there is a Clapham somewhere else.
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I'm looking at the correct record but I think it gives the witness J.H. Riley- address Chapleau-I don't see any extra info for Lucy.

Maureen

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
the trial of Frank Riley makes interesting reading. Condemned to death in March 1894, commuted to 15 years penal servitude, released on ticket of leave c1900. Lucy pleaded for mercy for her husband.

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
thank you all for your help. what happened with Lucy's husband had a devastating effect on the family, young sons sent to Canada and her mother died in 1905 after being pushed down stairs but there is nothing to show what happened to Lucy. she must have been desperate to let her boys be taken into care. just wondered what happened to her.
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
Records show that Henry and Edward were amongst 44 boys from the Catholic Emigration Association, Coleshill, Birmingham, who went to St.George's Home, Hintonburgh, Ottawa, Ontario. The boys were accompanied by two guardians, Albert Lambert aged 52 and Alfred Fawn aged 42.

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how I feel about the boys been sent to Canada ...........on the one hand you couldn't imagine anything worse than your children than them being taken away from everything and everybody that they know. at least they weren't travelling alone like some children .......Edward and Henry had each other and from what I know they went to marry and have families of their own. I do wonder what would have become of them if they had stayed in England as their older brother William ended up being killed in ww1.