Author Topic: Children of Nellie Wright and David Liddell Campbell  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Children of Nellie Wright and David Liddell Campbell
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information about Nellie Wright (b. 1889, I believe in Ireland to Sergeant Major James Wright and Elizabeth Nash) who married my great-grandfather David Liddell Campbell in August 1914 in Greenock. My grandfather knew very little of this relationship as he was born through his father's second partner. He believes Nellie and David had children before he was born in 1938, however it has been nearly impossible to find out if this is the case. If anybody could help, that would be great!

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Nellie Wright and David Liddell Campbell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
When and where did Nellie die?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Nellie looks to have been born on 20th October 1888. Her father, James, is recorded on the birth record as a Colour Sergeant. The address is Curragh Camp, which is Naas district.

For some info on the camp:

http://www.historyireland.com/18th-19th-century-history/the-curragh-army-camp/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curragh_Camp
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
In 1901 James & family [no wife] is living at 14 South St, Greenock
Army Color Sergt, Instractor Of Volunteers

OP probably knows the above but Nellie's year of death as sancti asked would give us a time frame for looking for children with David post 1914.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Lauren, have you already tried using Scotlandspeople to look for likely births in the Greenock area after the marriage?

The more you tell us of what searches you have already tried or sources of info you have already found and useful details from same, the easier it is for folks to help, without duplicating work.

Also, useful info such as was David also in the forces, so potentially moved around different areas too.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:37 BST (UK) »

I'm afraid I don't have a death date for Nellie. I came across a record which I strongly believe could be her - a death in Perth in 1975.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
So David didn't divorce Nellie nor marry your grandad's mum? I ask, so we know if we should look for divorce records or ask you how David was described in his second marriage, if he married (ie single, widowed or suchlike).

I see that the 1975 death you think might be her, has that Nellie indexed under Wright and Campbell, so is certainly a possibility.

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Lauren, have you already tried using Scotlandspeople to look for likely births in the Greenock area after the marriage?

The more you tell us of what searches you have already tried or sources of info you have already found and useful details from same, the easier it is for folks to help, without duplicating work.

Also, useful info such as was David also in the forces, so potentially moved around different areas too.

I have tried looking at birth on ScotlandsPeople, but there are so many in Greenock around the time (600 results!) and I can't narrow it down to the parents names or anything... I believe David was an expenditure officer in the ministry of labour.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:44 BST (UK) »

I'm afraid I don't have a death date for Nellie. I came across a record which I strongly believe could be her - a death in Perth in 1975.

Have you ruled out the Greenock death in 1953 for Nellie Campbell aged 66?