Author Topic: Children of Nellie Wright and David Liddell Campbell  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Nellie Wright and David Liddell Campbell
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
As far as I know the death certificate will not show children, unless as you suggest one was the informant. sancti beat me to it, I had looked for divorce proceedings on NRS as well but got diverted by finding a Fatal Accident Inquiry into the Ibrox disaster of 1971. I knew little about it - it happened when my elder son was 4 days old so I was otherwise occupied  ;D.

ADDED: Doesn't help with children has a look at the Register of Sasines name index which shows [1] she hadn't died [2] lived in Perth and owned property. The number displayed is the property search sheet number; this shows the transfer history of a property & may - only may - show if it passed to a child after Nellie's death. However I don't think they are available to the general public and cost me £3.60 to download.

PS You probably knowo that ,married Scottish women are/were known in full as 'Forename + Maiden Name or Married Name'.

Thank you so much for this!

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:03 BST (UK) »

I believe she died in Perth in 1975. But I haven't been able to get access to the certificate to verify it.

Why not? You can order a copy from scotlandspeople.
If you want to obtain copies for research there are options to view, save and print digital images of 1855-1966 entries and to order official paper certificates of those for 1967-2016.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
I agree with flst, the death certificate is accessible and would be a worthwhile buy. Once you know the date of death, you may be able to access an obituary in a Perth newspaper at an archive and this may mention any children.

Actually after typing that I looked on ancestry & found a newspaper index card which stated
CAMPBELL, Nellie
Westgrove Avenue
Obit
PA 1975 Nov 15 p 20

Having lived near Perth for 10 years I am pretty sure 'PA' means 'Perth Advertiser'. Definitely worth a look.

Ancestry's info on record set
About Perth, Scotland Newspaper Index Cards, 1809-1990
This database contains a collection of index cards referencing articles and announcements found in several Perth area newspapers from 1809-1990 (with a gap in coverage from 1890-1920). The collection is from the AK Bell Local Studies Department. Most of the cards reference births, deaths, retrials, golden and diamond wedding anniversaries, personal achievements, or personal tragedies.
About one-third of the cards are typewritten and were compiled as part of a Manpower Services Commission project during the 1980s. The remaining two-thirds are handwritten and were compiled by library staff over the years.
The majority of the cards reference articles and announcements from The Perthshire Advertiser (PA), The Perthshire Courier (Cou), The Blairgowrie Advertiser (BA), and the Strathearn Herald (SH). However, Kinross-shire Advertiser (KA) and Perthshire Constitutional and Journal (Con) are also occasionally referenced. These newspapers are noted on the cards by the abbreviations just listed after each title.

PS I wonder if an 'obit' may just be a death announcement?

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 June 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
See my earlier reply, the 1975 death is also indexed under Campbell, so if her, and it does now seem likely, it would seem to also suggest she never divorced.
I would not rely on that. I would expect a divorced woman's death to be indexed all her surnames including that of her ex-husband, assuming of course that the informant knew that she had been divorced and what her ex-husband's name was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.