Author Topic: Children of Nellie Wright and David Liddell Campbell  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Nellie Wright and David Liddell Campbell
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
So David didn't divorce Nellie nor marry your grandad's mum? I ask, so we know if we should look for divorce records or ask you how David was described in his second marriage, if he married (ie single, widowed or suchlike).

David and Nellie never divorced, however on his death certificate it says he was married to my grandfather's mother, May. However there is no recorded marriage certificate between David and May that I could find on ScotlandsPeople.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
So David didn't divorce Nellie nor marry your grandad's mum? I ask, so we know if we should look for divorce records or ask you how David was described in his second marriage, if he married (ie single, widowed or suchlike).

David and Nellie never divorced, however on his death certificate it says he was married to my grandfather's mother, May. However there is no recorded marriage certificate between David and May that I could find on ScotlandsPeople.

Is a marriage stated on your grandfather's birth record?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:48 BST (UK) »

That can happen if person notifying the death doesn't know otherwise and has perhaps always believed/assumed the deceased to be married.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
When and where did Nellie die?

I'm afraid I don't have a death date for Nellie. I came across a record which I strongly believe could be her - a death in Perth in 1975.

Have you ruled out the Greenock death in 1953 for Nellie Campbell aged 66?

Yes, I have. Whilst looking on ScotlandsPeople I found the 1975 death under her birthname, Wright, and her mother's maiden name, Nash.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
See my earlier reply, the 1975 death is also indexed under Campbell, so if her, and it does now seem likely, it would seem to also suggest she never divorced.

Also, no obvious divorce indexed in NAS.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:54 BST (UK) »

Is a marriage stated on your grandfather's birth record?

I believe not. My grandfather says that his father was never married to his mother but was definitely married before (he never knew who she was until I found Nellie and David's marriage certificate a few months ago). My grandfather's brother, however, was the one who signed David's death certificate and said that his parents were married, so slightly conflicted about it!

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
When and where did Nellie die?

I believe she died in Perth in 1975. But I haven't been able to get access to the certificate to verify it.

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
See my earlier reply, the 1975 death is also indexed under Campbell, so if her, and it does now seem likely, it would seem to also suggest she never divorced.

Also, no obvious divorce indexed in NAS.

Is it fairly unusual to have never divorced back then? Would the death certificate tell me if she and David had children? Perhaps her certificate was signed by one of her children?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
As far as I know the death certificate will not show children, unless as you suggest one was the informant. sancti beat me to it, I had looked for divorce proceedings on NRS as well but got diverted by finding a Fatal Accident Inquiry into the Ibrox disaster of 1971. I knew little about it - it happened when my elder son was 4 days old so I was otherwise occupied  ;D.

ADDED: Doesn't help with children but I had a look at the Register of Sasines name index which shows [1] she hadn't died [2] lived in Perth and owned property. The number displayed is the property search sheet number; this shows the transfer history of a property & may - only may - show if it passed to a child after Nellie's death. However I don't think they are available to the general public and cost me £3.60 to download.

PS You probably know that married Scottish women are/were known in full as 'Forename + Maiden Name or Married Name'.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON