Author Topic: Woodgate family of Seaton & Beer. Robert, Elizabeth, Daniel, John, Alice 1750's+  (Read 1262 times)

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My research has led me to queries regarding a Robert WOODGATE (1797-1886) in Seaton & Beer. married 13 Oct 1817 to Elizabeth WOODGATE (1797-1847)
I expect these two were cousins but I cannot trace her father John WOODGATE and/or her mother Alice LEE to find out where they were related.
I think I have found that Alice was previously married to a mariner (James Marchant LEE???) who was drowned and John adopted her 2 daughters (Elizabeth & Sarah).
I also have a Daniel WOODGATE, also a mariner who was somehow also related but to which side?????? (no known facts at all for him)
Any assistance gratefully received.
Miss Paddlefoot
Woodgate, Mearns, Owens, Jacobs, Griffiths. Creber, Alderton, Pollard

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Woodgate family of Seaton & Beer. Robert, Elizabeth, Daniel, John, Alice 1750's+
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi MissPaddlefoot

Welcome to RootsChat :)

From the marriage entry John Woodgate a mariner married Alice Lee a spinster from the parish of Branscombe

Alice Lee was baptised in Seaton & Beer 7 December 1760, daughter of James and Margaret Lee, her age all matches with her burial as Alice Woodgate ~ 01 Nov 1829 aged 69.

A Daniel Woodgate married a Sarah Westley 1759 and had lots of children, including a John bapt. 22 November 1761 ~ possibly father of Elizabeth.

Daniel also had a son William bapt. 20 April 1760 ~ possibly father of Robert.

So cousins perhaps  :)

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Woodgate family of Seaton & Beer. Robert, Elizabeth, Daniel, John, Alice 1750's+
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 04:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire.
A little bit more of the puzzle is possibly fitted. Is this information from Parish Records?
This is my husband's family and strangely enough my mother's side was all from Cornwall/Devon area too. So maybe I'll find a connection one day.
Your help is appreciated.
Miss Paddlefoot

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

All the parish registers for Seaton and Beer can be seen with a sub. with F M P which is where I got the information from.

Familysearch.org is another site I reference with (free) but some records to be treated with some caution as it can be user-submitted. It's always good to see the actual registers  :)

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
thank you Claire. ( I love your by-line "Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane"