Author Topic: First DNA test ... but which one?  (Read 950 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
First DNA test ... but which one?
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Over the years I've got progressively more submerged in family history research, and I've finally decided to bite the bullet and do a DNA test.  The article in the May edition of Who Do You Think You Are? magazine has been very helpful, especially as it gives an overview of the main providers currently.  Having read some of the threads on this part of Rootschat I'm hoping that some of you may be able to advise on which test I should start with.

The people in my family tree are almost exclusively English, at least back to 3x great-grandparents.  In lines where I've got further back it's still nearly all English, although there is one small Welsh line.  For this reason, Living DNA seems very attractive, being able to provide more detailed biogeographical analysis than other providers.  However, it's new and the database is still small.

My inclination is therefore to do an autosomal test with Ancestry, because:
(1) My tree is already public on Ancestry
(2) It has the largest database (although I acknowledge it has a strong US focus)
(3) I can transfer Ancestry results to Family Tree DNA (but not vice versa)
(4) Living DNA plan to accept transfers "soon" so I could potentially get the benefits of the regional analysis in due course

I'd be interested to hear what other people think before going ahead. 

Many thanks, JaneyH
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First DNA test ... but which one?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Ancestry first as you can't transfer other data to it.You can do a free autosomal transfer of the raw data to ftdna and also you can transfer it free of charge to gedmatch which has some tools to play with. My heritage accept free transfers but I hear mixed views. 23 and me also have mixed reviews. Its 2 years since my first test and I have done the living dna one and am awaiting results.I won't do any other tests with them as i'm waiting till they accept autosomal raw data from elsewhere and then will transfer familys raw data. I'm looking forward to compare ancestry's with living dna. I too have a tree and a sub to ancestry. Keep building your tree.

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
Janey,

For Christmas, my son and daughter-in-law, bought me an Ancestry DNA Kit.

When I got the results back, I uploaded a copy of my raw test data onto GEDMatch.  GEDMatch accepts raw test data from a number of DNA providers, and as weste says, “it’s free”.

Two of my top ten matches on GEDMatch were tested by 23andMe and two by FamilyTreeDNA, (the other six were tested by Ancestry), which meant that out of my top ten matches, I got four more matches than any one company was able to provide.

Tina Royal.

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Tina and weste,

Many thanks for your responses - you've both very much confirmed what I had thought. I see from the latest Lost Cousins newsletter that Ancestry are about to offer a discount on tests from 23-26 April, so I'll hold fire for a couple of days and save a few £££s 😁
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds