Author Topic: Robert Thomas born Llansilin, Denbighshire c1780  (Read 1994 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Thomas born Llansilin, Denbishire c1780
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 April 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, oh yes I can see what you mean. It also looks like a thin line striking through Thomas, but more strongly struck through Rogers. So maybe some conversation about name to be recorded at the event ?
I would favour the initial use of a patronymic form, would a name error (Rogers instead of Robert) would be shown first and then crossed through (Rogers Robert)
Would have to be there to know for sure  :)
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Thomas born Llansilin, Denbishire c1780
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure if either of you have noticed but the marriage entry of 1803 is written as:

Robert Rogers Thomas of the parish of Llansilin.

Two points arise from this ~

*  It was possible that it was either an error or a patronymic form  might have been used initially -           maybe son of Roger Thomas  :-\

* he was 'of the parish of Llansilin' at his marriage, not necessarily born there. I have a few ancestors from that area and found that I had to consult quite a few of the nearby parishes (in Montgomeryshire, Merionethshire as well as Denbighsire and Shropshire) to be certain of the correct  births/marraiges.

Gadget

Yes, thanks, for this. I did notice the correction in the 1803 marriage but (a) Robert Thomas was certainly my gtgrandmother Catharine's father. You may be correct about it being a patronymic form. As I am sure we all know, in this line of work and for this and earlier periods of our family histories we are dealing with probabilities rather than certainties. I am reasonably confident that I have the correct baptism. The redacted "Rogers" (not Roger) in the 1803 marriage at Oswestry looks like a correction, and I will accept it as such. But, thanks, for the cautionary note. On your second point, yes, I could extend the search to the surrounding counties but given that Robert Thomas is a pretty common name the likely consequence would be to mushroom probabilities without increasing certainty.

Just seen Gadget's update pointing to Thomas Thomas as witness, likely brother, which I had also seen.

Thanks also to Mar again. We seem to be on the same page.

Many thanks to all

Best

John
Owens-Swansea/Wallasey/Garston,L’pool
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Allen-Tetsworth/Hoole/Runcorn/St.Helens/Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Davies-Holywell,Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes
Hughes-Marchwiel,Bangor-Is-Coed,Denbs
Thomas-Oswestry, Salop/Liverpool
Cole-Cliffe Peppard/Lyneham, Wilts
Frawley-Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
Conway-Coolanoran,Co.Limerick
Dinneen-Ballingarry,Co. Limerick

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Thomas born Llansilin, Denbighshire c1780
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 April 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
John
to add as additional information (in case you hadn't seen) of the 6 children baptised to Roger and Elinor in Llansilin, the last two, Mary 1783 and Roger 1785, give the former name of Elinor as Elinor Mathew.
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Thomas born Llansilin, Denbighshire c1780
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 April 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
John
to add as additional information (in case you hadn't seen) of the 6 children baptised to Roger and Elinor in Llansilin, the last two, Mary 1783 and Roger 1785, give the former name of Elinor as Elinor Mathew.
Mar

Wow, Mar, you are ahead of me. That's great. I'll check them out - and now I can also move further back to Roger and Elinor.

Best

John

Many thanks
Owens-Swansea/Wallasey/Garston,L’pool
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Allen-Tetsworth/Hoole/Runcorn/St.Helens/Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Davies-Holywell,Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes
Hughes-Marchwiel,Bangor-Is-Coed,Denbs
Thomas-Oswestry, Salop/Liverpool
Cole-Cliffe Peppard/Lyneham, Wilts
Frawley-Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
Conway-Coolanoran,Co.Limerick
Dinneen-Ballingarry,Co. Limerick