Author Topic: German Genealogy websites  (Read 717 times)

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German Genealogy websites
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there Rootschat!

I'm in a tad bit of trouble I'm researching a specific family tree and I have found German Ancestry and I have no experience researching German ancestors and was hoping this community could help.

I'm researching a woman who was born in the 1930s and married an English man somepoint before 1966. I am unable to find the marriage registration or birth registration on ancestry, findmypast and familysearch. I'm under the belief she was born in Dusseldorf but can't find any other information. I do not know any German whatsoever but if anyone has any useful websites I could use to help me in finding this womans ancestry I would be very grateful!

Thanks!
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: German Genealogy websites
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Katie,

Unless you are a close relative, researching Germans of the 20th century can be very difficult indeed, because the Personenstandsgesetz (Law on Civil Status) restricts access to the records as follows:

Births - not less than 110 years ago
Marriages - not less than 80 years ago
Deaths - not less than 30 years ago

If, however, both the German woman and her English husband died more than 30 years ago, you would be able to obtain a German marriage certificate from the registry office.

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Personenstandsgesetz#Neue_Fristen

You'll now realise why you can't find any birth or marriage records online.

The only course of action that I can think of is to contact the Stadtarchiv Düsseldorf and request a search of the Einwohnermeldekartei (Residents' Registration Index).

Justin

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Genealogy websites
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much! I'll test it out :)
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding