Author Topic: Grave Register for Barkisland ChristChurch?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Grave Register for Barkisland ChristChurch?
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have found one of my family (George CROWTHER bu 1861) in Grave 637 at ChristChurch, is there any way  of finding out who else is in the grave please?
thanks,
Sharon
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Register for Barkisland ChristChurch?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
It might be an idea to contact the Vicar, to see whether they have the grave register.

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/barkisland-christ-church/

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Does not answer your question and Horbury does not seem near, but the following, if no use to you, might be useful to other Crowther and Butler researchers

The Barnsley Chronicle, Saturday 7 September 1861

Dreadful Accident at Horbury. - On Tuesday, a dreadful accident occurred in a field at the top of Benton's Hill, Horbury. A young man, about seventeen years of age, named William Henry Crowther, the son of Mr. George Crowther, the Witch Hill "washer" maker, was out shooting sparrows with a gun which he had borrowed from Mr. John Butler, butcher. In passing out of one field into another, having to go through the edge, he laid down his gun, and having got to the other side of the edge, took hold of the gun to draw it through, muzzle foremost, when the trigger was caught by a bramble, and the contents were discharged ...

There is an account of John Butler working in the field and hearing the shot headed there and found the young man.

He was conveyed home in a vehicle, and Mr. Kemp was called in, ... death taking place on Thursday morning. ... Inquest was held before T. Taylor, Esq., at the King's Arms Inn, Horbury, on Thursday, a verdict of "Accidentally shot" was returned.

Mark

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon, did you manage to contact the church?

Always nice to know whether suggestions are helpful or not.  :)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
I drove past there today (Twice!).
If it's fine tomorrow, I'll have a looksee if there is a graveyard plan .   Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi BumbleB,
thanks for the reminder, I believe that I did not contact the Church - I have been dealing with several family situations recently, and threads of thought/research seem to keep getting lost :(
The Crowther line is particularly complicated with James Crowther marrying Sarah Crowther at Birstall 23 Nov 1800, both supposedly from Heckmondwike, although it would appear that there are connections to Sowerby Bridge where some children ended up (ie George). I have not managed to get back any further at this point in time....
cheers,
Sharon
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
I have found one of my family (George CROWTHER bu 1861) in Grave 637 at ChristChurch, is there any way  of finding out who else is in the grave please?
thanks,
Sharon

Just a thought. ::)

Wherever the source  ??? you found the grave number 637, if given in the in the Barkisland church parish burial register in the side column  of George Crowther 1861 entry, then it will be time consuming but looking through the burial register year by year for other entries of grave 637  and maybe other surnames. (while searching -Keeping ones mind only on the number grave 637 and not on Surname Crowther.)

Barkisland PR's are on Ancestry website. Find it with George Crowther's burial 1861 first in search - then can search pages before and after page by page on original views pages.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth