Author Topic: Any Houldgate Descendants in Notts?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Mayflowers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any Houldgate Descendants in Notts?
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Looking for descendants of George Robert, Edith Alice, Harry Edward, Frederick William and Elizabeth Ellen. All children of Edward (1846-1930) and Ellen (1844-1919) Houldgate. At one time all living at 8 Cropwell Road, Radcliffe on Trent.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any Houldgate Descendants in Notts?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Surprised that nobody's noticed but this thread is on a totally wrong board - which is why you've had no replies - and needs to be moved

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
I can't see anything helpful on the Notts FHS CD.

I found these death notices in the NOtts evening post:

28 May 1915 --- deaths - on the 27 inst, at Annesley House, Villa Road, Maud Lilian, the dearly loved wife of Harry Edward Houldgate. At rest. Interment Church cemetery.

April 19 1918: Eliza Meakin, "for many years the confidential servant and friend of H E Meakin and family, Meldrum's restaurant

13 May 1933: On May 12, at Radcliffe on Trent, George Robert, youngest son of the late Edward Houldgate. Funeral Radcliffe.

1 Dec 1947: On November 29, Edith Alice Houldgate, youngest daughter of the late Edward Houldgate, Cropwell Road, Radcliffe on Trent

(so it would seem that Edith never married and probably therefore had no descendants)

10 June 1931:
Marriage: Mayolfi Reboudi - Houldgate: on June 19 at St Augustine's church, Vladimir Oscar, eldest son of G R Rebaudi de Carli, San Remo, Italy, to Constance Isabel, only daughter of H E Houldgate, Annesley House, Villa Road, Nott.

Don't know if any of this is helpful.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Maud Lilian's probate says Admin to Harry Edward Holdgate restaurant Proprieter she left £1484.
Marriage
Maud Lilian Hewitt and Harry Edward HOLGATE. Nottingham Jun 1905 7b/563
Birth
Constance Isabel  Houldgate Nottingham Sep 1906 7b/319 MMS Hewitt
Baptism
Name:   Constance Isabel
Baptism Date:   1 Nov 1906
Baptism Place:   Saint Peter, Nottingham, Nottingham, England
Father:   Harry Edward Houldgate
Mother:   Maud Lilian
FHL Film Number:   95042

seems she may have married again
Name:   Charles F Carlisle
Date of Registration:   Jan-Feb-Mar 1945
Registration district:   Nottingham
Inferred County:   Nottinghamshire
Spouse:   Mayolfi Or Houldgate
Volume Number:   7b
Page Number:   760

Edith Alice Houldgate ( spinster) had her brother, Harry Edward as Admin she left £9450

George Robert Houldgate had his brother Harry, now called Gentleman,as his admin. He left £2238.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Mayflowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annie65115 and larkspur for providing your information re the Houldgate family. I've used the REPLY button hoping that I'm replying to you both. If this text shows up in my Mayflowers inbox it looks as though I still haven't a clue how to work this site.
Oh, and thanks Ray T for mentioning that my query was posted in the wrong place. Perhaps it would have been more informative to have added just where I should have posted it? This site is awkward enough as it is - and the 'help' section is, I think the term applies 'user unfriendly'.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
You seem to have managed to post your reply in the correct place  ;) but here is a simple method  ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php   main page for the different boards.
As for where you should post, usually if you are centered on one county, click on that county
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/nottinghamshire/
There is a beginners board, any post can go on there from a new poster and an Admin will maybe move it to the relevant board should that be required.

select the button that says New Topic in a blue box you get this window http://www.rootschat.com/forum/nottinghamshire/?action=post
type in your message and then press Post at the bottom.

We were all new to the board at one time, I personally think this is one of the easier boards to use. I hope you get the hang of it.
Were the answers Annie and I  gave any help?
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Mayflowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 17 01:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, larkspur for your information, patience and advice. Yes your info filled a gap :) in my hunt for descendants of Edward and Ellen Houldgate. They, and 4 of their children were all buried in a plot in Radcliffe on Trent parish cemetery, purchased by Edward Houldgate early last century. Unlike present day plots, which are on lease, his was purchased and owned in perpetuity. He was issued a Deed of Grant. One of his children, Harry Edward Houldgate, (born 1873, married Maud in 1905 and died in 1961) who outlived his siblings was not noted on the monument as being buried there although he lived locally. My paternal grandfather, Thomas Howard, married Elizabeth Ellen Houldgate (1874-1944). They had two children, Muriel and Edward Segar Howard. The latter was my father. Elizabeth Ellen (now Howard) was laid to rest there. I had had visited the grave several times, but for years there had never been flowers left there, apart from ours and the monument had need of repair. I approached Mr. William Bonner, deputy clerk of the parish, at the time of my father's death in 1970 and he confirmed that he would welcome taking over care and ownership of the grave and was pleased that I was prepared to spend £1500 to refurbish the monument, since I had felt a responsibility to maintain it. My father's ashes were scattered there, as were my mother's in 1985. I gave my wife a promise that she and I would rest there too. However the present parish office staff want me to produce the original Deed of Grant before I can commit my wife's ashes there. She died the day after Valentine's Day this year. Hence my impatience to trace this deed. I doubt that it is intact after 100 years but have requested sight of any wills to trace its path and will approach Nottingham Archives, and RonT history group. I have even offered to reinstate the purchase. Ironically before she died, Constance Isobel Carlisle (nee Houldgate) opined that I was the last of their blood line. Where do I go from here?

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 April 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
I am very sorry for your loss. I do hope you manage to do as your late wife wished.
 I would have thought it ridiculous to expect you to produce a 100 year old deed. Is the fact that you paid for the renovation of the plot not a help. You would hardly have paid out all that money if the grave was not connected to your family. Surely the Parish Register staff can access the records and find who purchased the plot and the details of it.
My Aunt and uncle were buried in Newark cemetery ( council owned) in an old plot where my baby aunt was buried in 1937, the 2 aunts being sisters. There was no deed held by the family as my grandfather ( died 1983) purchased the plot.
Very best of luck.

Edit, you have probably already seen this http://www.rotpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Regs-Jan-2015.pdf

Offline ALLIEREBAUDI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I was looking for news about the Houldgate family and I bumped into this super interesting exchange. My name is Alessandra Rebaudi. I'm Italian and I'm the great grand niece (can you say this in English?!) of that Mr Wladimir Rebaudi who married Constance Isabel Houldgate -back, I suppose in 1941-. Wladimiro was my favourite grandmother's brother and I only met him when he was much older, in Notthingham, when he was at that point not married to Mrs Isabel anymore. I am writing a book. A book about my intricate Rebaudi family. I know that Wladimiro was only married to Isabel for a short period of time and I would be so happy to be able to find some news, any news, about them, about her. It's a small chapter of my family that I unfortunately miss as I was not born when all this happened and then I was too young to be able to ask questions to uncle Miro (Wladimir). And now of course it's too late and I con only count on information I can find here and there. If any of you can give me some news about Isabel, or her second husband (Carlisle?) or anything, anything at all that could help me picturing their story better, I would be immensely grateful.
Alessandra