Author Topic: hit a brick wall  (Read 699 times)

Offline KEZMATT1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hit a brick wall
« on: Friday 21 April 17 03:51 BST (UK) »
I have decided recently to look in family history and found out my granddads dad died when he was six years old and cant remember him and has n photos my uncle did some research asking granddads older brother questions and got told to leave it alone it will open up a whole can of worms and to stop asking questions granddad don't know why this was they have passed and his only older sister can remember him vaguely but no photos or nothing bout his past so I took over to see what I could find out and up to yet I know his dad was called Charles Benjamin born in Georgetown British Guiana 28/12/1890 and came to UK between 1914-1918 was a stow apparently that got caught over half way on journey so was allowed to UK I know nothing about his mother but his father was called Baris Benjamin and was a cooper. he also had a sister but there is two stories 1) she made it to UK after Charles with children not sure if illegal or not 2) she apparently died at sea with her children when ship capsized no names are known for the children or his sister I would like to be able to get birth certificate of his dad so he has something as struggling with all other links and I have messaged a genealogist to find any picture or birth certificate as this would make my granddads so happy and have been quoted over £1200. other than personally go out to Guiana to search records out there I think I might be done. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: hit a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

I can see a Charles Benjamin on the free search of the 1939 register using the date of birth you have given living in Derby area is this your Charles  :-\

Also in case it is relevant there is a notice Derby Daily Telegraph 26 May 1941 regarding a Charles Benjamin of 10 Bridge Street, Derby who will not be responsible for any debts unless personally contracted  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KEZMATT1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Yes they are both to do with my great grandad I have had them printed out I have recently had the GRO office do a search for his birth certificate in Guiana and they couldn't find it and said he could of lied about his date of birth with being stow away. my grandad was only 6 when he died and can't remember him so it's a picture I'm after really to show him but hitting brick walls all the time

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 May 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
I see he had a lot of children, maybe one of their children have more information or photo's.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk