Author Topic: John Hannell IRVIN b. circa 1780  (Read 4580 times)

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Hannell IRVIN b. circa 1780
« on: Friday 21 April 17 04:45 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on the family of Barbara Steel IRVINE/IRVIN/IRVING.  Her father was John Hennel IRVINE and mother Jane HILL.  This information comes from familysearch indices.  At this stage, I do not know where John was born, only that Barbara was born in North Shields in 1816.  She was baptised 28 July 1816 in Christ Church, Tynemouth.  Barbara had a brother, Thomas, baptised 24 June 1821 also in Christ Church, Tynemouth.

According to North Shields from Old Photographs, found on google books, Richard IRVIN & Sons were a fishing dynasty from North Shields, his father was John H IRVIN, and his mother was Sarah DRUMMOND.  Richard was born 1853, so whether he is of the same family, I have yet to ascertain.

Barbara is my ggg-grandmother.  She married Ralph Brady SIMPSON and, along with most of her children, emigrated to New Zealand in 1858.

Information I had been given said that the IRVINE family owned a fishing fleet and lived in Aberdeen, opposite a golf course.  This might be true of John Hennell IRVIN, son of the above Richard IRVIN, however, whether Barbara's father owned a fishing fleet, I don't know.  I do know that Richard built up a fishing fleet, so maybe there is confusion here with similar names.

I would be extremely interested to connect with someone also researching this family, and to know more about them.

Jeni Simpson
New Zealand
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: John Hannell IRVIN b. circa 1780
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Have you a copy of his marriage,when and where did he marry
I can quite clearly see his daughters baptism at Christ Church,giving fathers occupation as mariner
I did come across a seamans records for  a John Irvin born Orkney,apprenticed in 1811. living in Shields in 1850 according to his masters and mates certificate, but he does not have the Hennell/Hannell inserted as a middle name
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Interesting on free bmd there is a death recorded for a John Hannel Irvin aged 85 in Tynemouth
March 1893
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff

Thank you.  I only have details from the familysearch index stating the marriage of John Hannll IRVIN took place on 21 November 1801, at St Hilda, South Shields, Durham.  Bride was Jane HILL.  The freebmd item is interesting, may be a brother or cousin. 

That John Hannel IRVIN would have been born 1808 and Barbara was born 1816.  I have his birth recorded as 1780 and Jane HILL as 1785.

The 1911 Census of England and Wales has a John Hannell IRVIN born North Shields and living in Tynemouth at the age of 73, he would have been born 1838.  Looking at the IGI, this might possibly be the son of Richard Webester IRVIN found in another familysearch index as marrying Esther Thoburn on 4 October 1868.

Three branches of the SIMPSON family use different spelling for this name, IRVIN, IRVING and IRVINE, and it is used as middle names for children down the generations.

Jeni
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
so were there no children born between 1801 and 1816
that seems an awful long time before their first child

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 April 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I agree.  The only other child I have found to be born to this couple is Thomas, born 1821.  The only place I have found this family is familysearch.

Of course there is the possibility this is not Thomas and Barbara's parents, their mother was Jane on their birth information.  Searching for a marriage for John Hannell IRVIN and Jane, I was guided to this marriage to Jane HILL, on rootsweb.  I thought there may have been more children, and haven't found any yet. 

I could well be barking up the wrong tree with this couple as the parents.  More information is forthcoming on the net with each passing year.  It is only now I have found anything on the fishing fleet of Richard IRVIN and found the name John Hannell IRVIN floating around that family in the generations.  Plus, for years this was the only John Hannell IRVIN information I was able to find.

I don't have access to the paid sites, and live rurally, so no easy library access for ancestry.

Jeni Simpson

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 April 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
The Irvin industry is well documented
and the building still stands on the quay
I will try and look again for children prior to 1816 tomorrow

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I appreciate that.

I have been reading quite a lot about the IRVIN family and their fishing fleet, Barbara's family would be before that of Richard IRVIN, who was born in 1853.  I cannot say this is the same family, I can only guess at that.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
According to an Ancestry tree,

the owner states that Richard Webster Irvin
was the son of John Hallen Irvin  and Jane

siblings
John Hallan Irvin 1807,North Shields
Richard Webster Irvin 1811,North Shields
Barbara Steel Irvin 1816,North Shields