Author Topic: Archibald Ewen MacKinnon (Ontario)  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Archibald Ewen MacKinnon (Ontario)
« on: Friday 21 April 17 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone can find me some details on my uncles work life in Ontario & where exactly he was when he passed away?

Archibald Ewen Mackinnon b 28 Dec 1914 in Dalziel, Motherwell, Scotland

Died 24 Oct 2004 Toronto, Ontario & buried Mount Hope Cemetery, Toronto 30 Oct 2004.

Parents Joseph MacKinnon & Maggie-Jane (m/s Steel(e)/last married name Docherty) both deceased at the time.

I was the one who provided his birth details at the time of his death via telephone (from Scotland) but because of my anguish at the time, I gave his birth registration date rather than his actual birth date (yes we make mistakes in grief) although that will have no bearing on the info. I'm seeking.

Archibald (known as Archie/Archie Ewen) was at one time living in Weston, Ontario which I remember as I used to write to him via Airmail in the 1970's/80's although he visited us annually & after 1980's. His last visit to my house in Scotland would have been around 1993-1995.

I can't find his old address but I do recall Weston.

I believe he may have worked for a Hospital at one/some time, possibly a Driver but other than that I don't know what his driving job would have been as I was very young then & not into family history as I am now.

Archibald had a brother Angus who died 26 Apr 2003 in Ontario & a sister Jessie Isabel (Spinster) who died 20 Aug 1975 in Ontario.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Annie

ADD....Emigrated from Motherwell, Scotland to Quebec, Montreal in 1923 although I don't know if they lived there or just departed from the ship there?

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Ewen MacKinnon (Ontario)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 17 06:25 BST (UK) »
ADD....Emigrated from Motherwell, Scotland to Quebec, Montreal in 1923 although I don't know if they lived there or just departed from the ship there?

The Ocean Arrival forms for both Archie and Angus have their destination as their grandmother, Mrs Rose McKinnon at 191 1st Ave, Toronto.  For both boys (and grandma Rose) the surname is spelled as McKinnon.   There is a place on the form asking how much money they are bringing in, and if I am reading the scrawly handwriting right, it says acc uncle which could mean accompaning an uncle  ???  Do you know who accompanied them over?

There is an obit for Archie that you may have seen, but it doesn't offer up where he had worked etc, but maybe the list of family members may help you:
https://obittree.com/obituary/62136/hfs/

And for Angus, https://obittree.com/obituary/ca/ontario/toronto/r-s--kane-funeral-home/angus-mackinnon/104198/

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
The Canada Voters List has entries for Archie MacKinnon in Weston as follows:

1953 - North Residence of Weston Sanitarium - Archie MacKinnon, maintenance
1957 - North Residence of Weston Sanitarium - Archie McKinnon, handyman
1963 - Toronto Hospital for Tuberculosis - Archie MacKinnon, handyman
1965 - Toronto Hospital - Archie MacKinnon, maintenance

Not to confuse the matter but there was another Archie MacKinnon in the same riding (York-Humber) listed in 1957, 1962 and 1965 at different addresses each year who was a truck driver. There is a Mrs. Jessie MacKinnon listed with him each time (although in 1962 she was referred to as just Jessie MacKinnon). I noticed that Jessie Isabel is buried with Archie at Mount Hope Cemetery. Is it possible that this is Archie and his sister with her misidentified as "Mrs."?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 17 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi folks......

The Ocean Arrival forms for both Archie and Angus have their destination as their grandmother, Mrs Rose McKinnon at 191 1st Ave, Toronto.  For both boys (and grandma Rose) the surname is spelled as McKinnon.   There is a place on the form asking how much money they are bringing in, and if I am reading the scrawly handwriting right, it says acc uncle which could mean accompaning an uncle  ???  Do you know who accompanied them over?

There is an obit for Archie that you may have seen, but it doesn't offer up where he had worked etc, but maybe the list of family members may help you:
https://obittree.com/obituary/62136/hfs/

And for Angus, https://obittree.com/obituary/ca/ontario/toronto/r-s--kane-funeral-home/angus-mackinnon/104198/

Hi bb,

The obit for Archie was done between myself & his cousin & the same cousin & my brother did Angus' obit.

Our family (in Scotland) never met Angus apart from my brother (in the obit) who met him in Canada when on holiday with our father.

I'm away from home but from memory, I think Angus (eldest) & Archie travelled with their uncle William, son of Rose (Ann) who I think accompanied them to Canada & returned to Scotland.

Thanks Jacquie,

The info. would fit with Archie from what little info. I recall, I do remember 'maintenance' now.

With regard to the Mrs Jessie, I can't say for sure whether this is my aunt & uncle at this time although I know my family had connections with York.

Jessie was a Nun at one time but I can't find my post regarding that for now & separate from this query.

I know Archie was never married but he may well have lived with his sister which I really don't know?

I have a feeling the driving job may have been latterly although still at a/the hospital prior to his retirement?

Related post for Jessie,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?
topic=761123.msg6123399#msg6123399

And Angus,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761276.msg6125340#msg6125340

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
I think we can disregard the entries of Archie and Jessie then since some of them were for the same years as Archie is listed as residing at the hospital residence.

Have you tried contacting the Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto​​​ for information about Jessie? Their website is at https://www.archtoronto.org/about-us/departments-(a-n)/Archives

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
Years ago, when I was trying to find additional information about some of my ancestors, I wrote to several (Toronto) cemetery offices.  I stated the connection between the deceased and me and why I wanted the information (genealogy).  One office declined to provide information, but most were willing to help and one office actually provided more information than I had asked (I didn't realize an ancestor who died in 1869 was buried in the cemetery).

My requests were for ancestors who passed away prior to 1925. Due to privacy laws/concerns the office may not be able to share information, but I wonder if there might be helpful information contained in the records?
http://www.catholic-cemeteries.com/Mount_Hope_Cemetery_1186589.html
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
I think we can disregard the entries of Archie and Jessie then since some of them were for the same years as Archie is listed as residing at the hospital residence.

Have you tried contacting the Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto​​​ for information about Jessie? Their website is at https://www.archtoronto.org/about-us/departments-(a-n)/Archives

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie,

Sorry I missed your post (my email is out of action).

I see there's a crossover with dates but having thought about it, I wouldn't imagine Jessie to uproots with her brother i.e. I think that conclusion would be right, different people.

This is a link regarding Jessie (separate issue)  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760734.0

Thanks for the link above which I will use as I may be able to 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone' as I can enquire about Jessie's uncle, my g/father's brother Neil Joseph MacKinnon (who was a Priest) in Toronto.

I was in touch via email a lot of years ago with a Catholic Church site (can't remember which) but they were very reluctant to give me any info. although I don't know whether they had any but I would have imagined they did?

If I recall correctly, they sent me the story about Neil Joseph who died in a fire at his home in St. James Town on 4th Mar 1971 (a cutting), not sure which paper or the date of the entry.

I was able to give them the date of his death as I have a copy of his will which was sent to my father in Scotland at the time as a beneficiary. I have to say, that will was worth a lottery win to me with the info. it contained regarding family members.

I was able to tell them when he was Ordained as I have his Ordination Cert. too.

I had no clarification regarding Jessie ever having been a Nun or any info. at all on her although I found the info. myself, not much but enough for clarification that she was & when.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
I wrote to several (Toronto) cemetery offices.  I stated the connection between the deceased and me and why I wanted the information (genealogy).  One office declined to provide information, but most were willing to help and one office actually provided more information than I had asked (I didn't realize an ancestor who died in 1869 was buried in the cemetery).

My requests were for ancestors who passed away prior to 1925. Due to privacy laws/concerns the office may not be able to share information, but I wonder if there might be helpful information contained in the records?
http://www.catholic-cemeteries.com/Mount_Hope_Cemetery_1186589.html

Hi Lisa,

I'm unsure if I should contact the Cemetery as my uncle died recently 'in terms' (2004).

Do you think they would be willing to give info. on someone who passed so recently?

Annie

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 April 17 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie:

They may not give you "all" of the information in their records, but it might be worth stating that they were your aunt and uncle, why you would like the details, and it might help to point out that you do not live in Canada.   ;)  (Therefore you cannot obtain the information on your own.)  It might help to snail-mail a letter, rather than inquire by e-mail.

If you don't mind sharing the details that you do have (birth dates, birth place, date of their passing, occupations, etc.), they could be inclined to respond to your inquiry.  Again, given that their passing was somewhat recent, they may not be able to help you.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)