Author Topic: Archibald Ewen MacKinnon (Ontario)  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Ewen MacKinnon (Ontario)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 April 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
Have you searched newspapers in the past for articles about Mr. and Miss MacKinnon?  I realize you would like to know more about your uncle's work life, but are your also curious about your aunt?

Not having a subscription, I don't know how inquiries work with the Toronto Star Archives, but using the following terms
"Jessie MacKinnon" AND Nun
one hit resulted:
Toronto Daily Star, August 18, 1958, page 23

Perhaps the article could be about her; or, perhaps it was about a different Jessie in one article and Nun in a different article on page 23.  (I hope that makes sense.)   ;)

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/search.html
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Not sure how you came up with that 1 hit with "Jessie MacKinnon" AND Nun as I couldn't get anything which looked close  ;D

Here's what I got.....Results 1 to 10 of 161577  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm.   :-\

I tried:
"jessie mackinnon" AND Nun
between 1/1/1922 and 4/28/1977

Maybe the link will work?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k0e/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
I think one of the Canadian RootsChatters may be able to view the article, if she happens to pop into this thread.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
Ahh, it's a subscription to view in either US or Canadian Dollars  ::)

Not sure how that works with BP's?

Maybe I need to research other things to make a months sub worthwhile?

I'm unsure if exchange rate makes a difference as I've never subscribed to anything in foreign currency  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
...I'm unsure if exchange rate makes a difference as I've never subscribed to anything in foreign currency  ;D...

Ooohhh, I would be careful about exchange rates.   :-[  I was desperate to view my ancestor's Essex, England records and paid more in exchange fees than to order all of the records.   >:(

I have to leave for a bit, but tonight I will try to track someone down who might be able to view the 1958 article(s).

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 April 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa,

Much appreciated indeed!

Annie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 April 17 02:29 BST (UK) »
PM sent to whom I believe can help us.  Hopefully, she can view the newspaper and has the time to do so.   :)

Now, I'm off-line for a bit.   ;D

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 April 17 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just checked that page.  The "nun" is a different person.  The reference to Jessie Mackinnon is that she was a WREN.  There is a get together in Vancouver for ex-WRENS from Canada and the USA.  It is their second reunion since the end of the War.  Jessie is one of the Toronto delegates who is going to attend.

RK