Author Topic: Seeking any information about John Hughes‏‏, St Helens, Lancashire, England.  (Read 2068 times)

Offline montess_hughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your warm welcome, I am very overwhelmed and appreciate the time you have taken to help. As suggested I have cropped the Family Tree image to remove the living relatives.

The living relatives in the family tree are my Grandfathers children he had 7 children with my Grandmother Ripeka (Rebecca) Hughes nee Maaka.

John Hughes
Patricia Hughes
Elizabeth Melekoula (adopted)
Maihi Hughes (My father)
Bryan Hunter (adopted)
Susan Hughes
Gordon Hughes

On my Grandfathers birth certificate, police report, marriage certificate and death certificate it says he's from St Helens, Lancashire, England.

We have no information on why he migrated to New Zealand at the age of 21/22, my dad has told me he use to work with Jo McCormick who resides in Wellington - he advised he didn't know much about the family history of John just that they were from the same place and would have a pint together after work.

My dad also told me he met William Ingham on the ship when they migrated to NZ. We have no information about my Grandfather's family history before he migrated to New Zealand as he travelled alone.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking any information about John Hughes‏‏, St Helens, Lancashire, England.
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 April 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again I see you have the Minnie H who was born 1928 and sadly died 1929 along with an Albert b March qtr 1924 who possibly could be the Albert b 14th December 1923 died October 1996 St Helens aged 72, oddly both John/Albert are difficult to locate let's say 1939 although the Elizabeth (Alice) at the address John gives at birth, has two possibe locked records in the household,.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline montess_hughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking any information about John Hughes‏‏, St Helens, Lancashire, England.
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 April 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Michelle from ancestry provided the headstone for Minnie H born 1928 - 1929. The headstone reads: "In Fragrant Memory Of Minnie H. The Beloved Daughter of Albert & Elizabeth Hughes. Died March 14th 1929 14 Months. Safe in the arms of Jesus"

I have located Albert Hughes (1923-1996) death certificate, it reads:
Date and place of birth: 14th December, 1923 St Helens.
Date of Death: 14/10/1996

Ok great I will search for the information for Elizabeth (Alice) Mee to locate the two records you have come across.

Many thanks  :)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 April 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again,  seeing your tree with Albert Hughes b c 1892 who married Elizabeth (Alice)  Mee b 1885, could this be his death seeing Elizabeth A is Widowed in 1939:-

Albert Hughes b c 1892 death Dec 1938 St Helens 8b 785 aged 46
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk