Author Topic: Death notices in Sydney Newspapers  (Read 762 times)

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death notices in Sydney Newspapers
« on: Friday 21 April 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
I am looking for death notices in Sydney newspapers for the following:
Arthur Russell Morry, died 1909.
John James Francis Madden died 1949
Margaret Ada Madden died 1954
I have tried the Ryerson Index with no results.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death notices in Sydney Newspapers
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. It's interesting that it doesn't mention any of his family, other than his father.
Arthur Russell Morry was supposedly the first husband of my great aunt, Margaret Ada Hollins, known as Ada or Adie. However he was wanted for bigamy in Toowoomba, where it appears that he married twice, the second time bigamously. In 1902 he ran away to Sydney with my great aunt and they were named in the Police Gazette. (She was named as Ada Hollands but on Arthur's death certificate she was recorded as Margaret Ada Hollins, his wife.)
She had two children with him a boy and a girl, recorded as deceased on his death certificate. I can't find any records of their birth or death and wondered if they were still born.
I'm not sure if my great aunt went through a form of marriage with Arthur as she called herself Morry on her marriage to John James Francis Madden. Her son seemed to think she had married Arthur in England but she travelled to Australia as Margaret Hollins.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
Interesting background ...  The above notices were in Qld newspapers.  I'll look some more.

Not sure if this is death notice for correct John MADDEN in 1949.  Does the date match that in NSW BDM ?  No this was one was relict of Hannah so from what you have just said he is not the correct one.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18092952

Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Not the correct one but could be related. Sorry I should have said that I think john James Francis was born c1879. His age was given as 31 on his m.cert to my great aunt in 1910.
Thanks for all your help. Only just found out about my great aunt's life in Australia. We knew she had been in Toowoomba but then she seemed to vanish. Found the info on Ancestry by chance.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
A report on the bigamies  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article175958497

adding : another one http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article198985615
             (with a sketch of Arthur MORRY and his first 2 wives)

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
He really was a naughty boy wasn't he! He died from TB in 1909, probably from stress and exhaustion from all his exploits! His father was well known as an architect and politician. Bet he wasn't too pleased about his son's adventures. I wonder how much my great aunt's family knew about all this? She was known as the Ada who went to Australia but that's all we knew. Her marriages weren't recorded in the family bible.
Thanks again for your information.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
When I saw he died at Darlinghurst, I had a sudden thought that he may have died in Darlinghurst Gaol.   But I checked gaol photograph records and there were none.   But it sounds like you have his death certificate anyway and would have known if he died in gaol.

By the way if you can see any probate or divorce files at NSW state archives
 https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/ for your people, I am happy to photograph them for you.  The probates should contain a death cert, a will and details of heirs and of assets etc.

Ros

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I will have a look for probate records. The system in Australia is different to the UK and seems to vary from state to state, similar to the USA.
On Arthur's d.cert it gave his place of death as his home address I think. I suppose in the early 1990's it was more difficult to trace people than it is nowadays, although in the Police Gazette it did suggest that they had gone to Sydney.
The newspaper articles are good! Will pass them on to other relatives who are interested.
I haven't been on Rootschat for quite a while as I've not done much family history recently but someone always seems to find information for me. I really am grateful for all your help.
I have found other second cousins in Australia after a long search and we met up when they came over last year.