Author Topic: Post WW2 Teachers' Training  (Read 2974 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Post WW2 Teachers' Training
« on: Friday 21 April 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
I am going through mounds of paperwork going back 92 years and documenting the life of a man who rarely threw anything away :-) Its a lovely, time consuming but sometimes frustrating experience.

He was in the Fleet Air Arm from 1943 to 1946. When he was demobbed he applied to train as a teacher. Was accepted to start in autumn 1947, which he did and was awarded his Teaching Cert in 1949 (dated 28 July 1949) then did what I assume was a probationary year in various schools.

Okay, so I also have a Post Office Savings book for the relevant period.(it dates from 1938 to end of Oct 1949)
There were deposits by chq on 15 Jan 1947, 21 Sept 1948 and 19 Jan 1949 for £39 13s 4d each time.
Then there is a deposit on 2 May 1949 for £25 18s 4d - this was about the time he was told he had passed all the exams.

I suspect they may have been some sort of grant to enable him to live while he was away at college but I don't know for sure. They are highly unlikely to have come from family.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out if grants were paid back then and maybe find some sort of detail about amounts and qualification for grants. I can't find any paperwork relating to funding for training in the mounds of stuff I am going through.

Thanks
Boo

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Post WW2 Teachers' Training
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
National Archives has an information page " (How to look for records of.....)  Teacher training " See the section on post-war training.
See also the website: Education in England - the history of our schools ( Derek Gillard) Chapter 5  1944-1951.  www.educationinengland.org.uk/history.html
There was a shortage of  teachers in 1945. (War + 1944 Education Act.) Emergency recruitment campaign was begun. There was a drive to build teacher training colleges 1945-1951. Former military were encouraged to enter teaching profession.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
There certainly was a scheme to help ex-service to train and/or qualify for things like teaching, after the war. Many went to University under ex-service schemes, and to Training Colleges, as they were called then, as well. There must have been been a grant scheme, and those dates would approximate to the start of terms, wouldn't they, so that sounds a very likely source of the income! Many of those teachers may have been shorter term trained, but the few I knew were very good teachers - often quite easy to sidetrack with What did you do in the War, Sir?" questions!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone: Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I have details of where and when he did the training course, a list of all the schools he worked in and when - both during his course and in his probationary year after passing the exams.
I have been on the NA, Hansard, Education websites etc etc. Snippets from  old newspapers indicate that maintenance grants were available if needed but greedyBoo is still hoping for chapter and verse on it. His parents would not have been able to support him and he was almost 23 when he started the training so wouldn't (I would think/hope) be expected to be supported by his parents anyway.

ThrelfallYorky:
 Thanks to you too. It does seem to be one cheque a year for the same amount each year so yes, I do think its okay to conclude that it was some sort of maintenance grant. I'll keep plodding along trying to find details of the grant scheme.

Boo

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
The Centre for Teacher Education at Warwick University is busily celebrating its 70th anniversary this year, having been created out of one of the emergency training centres. They're putting a lot of effort into this and doing a variety of displays, wheeling out one of their oldest alumni who was there very soon after its inception and so forth.

It may be that they have something on this in their materials. Worth looking up and maybe contacting them?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you (sorry for the late-ish reply but we've been away)
I have emailed them, will report back if they can shed any light on this

Boo