Author Topic: What was a taft maker ?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was a taft maker ?
« on: Friday 21 April 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to find any information about taft making. Does anyone know what it could be please ?  It was early 1800's in Leics.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What was a taft maker ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - the initial "t", could that possibly be an "l" and the "f" could that be the long "s"?  :-\

Last making would be an appropriate occupation in Leicestershire - shoe-making profession. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Can you post a snip of the word here please, or let us know what document contains the word (census for example).  :)

(I suspect BumbleB has got it right though.) :)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
It's either a mistake in transcription or possibly a patented object.  I couldn't find anything for Leics but did find an American was making a sewing machine in the 1800s.

The national archive discovery website has sevral members of a Taft family either making whips or patenting other designs.  I've only looked down the first page of the 99 results for the 1800s but I'll post a link to the page and you can look for yourself.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Taft&_p=1800&_ps=60
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all for your replies. Last maker does make sense, I will hunt out the certificate in awhile and try and post it. Thanks everso much . Now why didn't I think of that ?  :D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
If this occupation is on a certificate (depending on the year) have you located them in any census, to confirm?

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
I can't find my paperwork now ::) I'm going to take it as last maker Bumble as I'm sure that must be correct.
Thankyou BumbleB , Rena and Ruskie for all your help, much appreciated
Kind regards
Sue.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
If you do find the paperwork, then do come back.  I'm sure we'd love to see the original handwriting.  (Well, I would  ;D )
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 April 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, it would be interesting to see the handwriting.  When I was young practically every household had a last which was used by fathers when hammering metal stegs into the soles of their sons' winter boots in order to lessen the wear on the leather soles. My father gave me one which had been handed down the family and I used it to stick rubber soles onto leather soles to cut  down on cobblers fees.  With the type of materials used for soles these days there's not much use for a last.

I've found something that might interest you that was written by the University of Leicester about the local shoe industry. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jz7/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke