Author Topic: Barefoot and Pregnant Vol 2  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Caronrees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barefoot and Pregnant Vol 2
« on: Friday 21 April 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a copy of Barefoot and Pregnant Vol 2. I'm trying to find out if my ggg grandmother is mentioned in it and if so, what pages are relevant. She was one of the 190 orphans sent to Australia on the Lady Kennaway in 1848.
Mary Mitchell aged 16, b Ballinasloe, Galway
She was Roman Catholic from the Ballinasloe workhouse in Galway
It was recorded that she was a nursemaid, cannot read or write; empl Mary Ann Iddles, Great Bourke St, Melbourne, as child's maid, Melbourne £6/10/-, 12 months; in Aug 1849 brought a charge of ill-treatment, assault and breach of agreement against her mistress.
Rees Mitchell Lee Petch

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Caronrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barefoot and Pregnant Vol 2
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks larkspur..I have seen the Earl Grey orphan page. There's a copy of Barefoot and Pregnant in the National Library but unfortunately that's a long way from where I live. I'm travelling to Melbourne later in the year and will reserve a copy to read. Just trying to find out what pages I should read and copy. I think there may be an index of the orphans names and pages they might be mentioned on.
Rees Mitchell Lee Petch

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 17 03:37 BST (UK) »
Caron, there's a copy in the QFHS library in Brisbane if you're up this way.
Also I think at Cleveland library - I was helping at a local expo and the local FH society had it on the desk.
I'll try to get down to Cleveland and have a look for you, but might not be for a week or so.

If I can get it, I'll get you to PM me your address so I can send you any pages I can photocopy.  I presume you are in Oz?
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Caronrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 April 17 03:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Dawn. That would be amazing. I did spend seven years in Brisbane but that was many years ago. I'm now living in Perth. I'm going to Melb in Sept but I've a few things to look into at the National Library so I was hoping to find which pages would be relevant to me. If you're able to help me much sooner that would be so appreciated. I'm really intrigued by Mary Mitchell. I've been able to get immense information about her after she left the Ballinasloe workhouse and though her immigration records from the Lady Kennaway state her parents are unknown, her marriage records list her father as Jno Mitchell. I'm just waiting on her death cert to arrive to confirm this. I'm still not certain as to whether she was born in 1832 or 33. I'm hoping it's 1832 as I have a baptism record that may tell me her mother's name also. Thanks again Dawn.
Caron
Rees Mitchell Lee Petch

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Caron
Had a look at B&P Vol 2.  Not an easy book to understand, especially how McClaughlin did his index!
Three of us were scratching our heads  ::)  ::)  ::) ::)

Example: He indexes by surname only. There were six references to Mitchell.  Three found, two for Sir Thomas Mitchell and one for someone else with the surname.  Other 3 not found.  BUT I did find her on another page altogether - just as well you knew she came on the Lady Kennaway!!   [p.316]

The only info, though, apart from what you already have, is that her Religion was RC.
And the name of the employer was Mary Ann Iddler, not Iddles.
Oops, I see you already had the RC bit.

Of course, if you had the time to sit down and read through the whole book, you might pick up something else - given the strange nature of his indexing.

Remember that most of the extra info given about some of the girls was submitted by family members.  I recall when Vol.1 was published, I wondered how he got the info on my orphan girls, then realised that I'd sent it to him years earlier  :)  :)  :)  :)

Do you know if she is inscribed on the Irish Famine Wall in Sydney?  If she is, perhaps Dr Perry McI may have some info on her.  Might be worth a query.  If you don't know who I'm talking of, let me know and I'll PM her name to you. I might even have an email address, with a bit of luck.

Cheers
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Caronrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Dawn, thank you so much for your help. At least now I won't need to look at the book when I visit the library. I've now received Mary's death certificate and with the confirmation of her father's name and her birth year I'm fairly certain that I've found her mother also. I'm waiting to hear back from the Galway Archives for any further info on them. It appears she had an older brother so I'm now looking back for death records. He would have been 19 if alive when Mary entered the workhouse. There also appears to be a Mary born to the same parents the previous year to my Mary so I now need to check a possible death record for her. That would be why the two birth years 1832 and 1833 keep appearing on different records for my Mary. She is definitely born in 1833. Mary isn't on the Memorial Wall in Sydney. I think that is for the Mayo Orphans. They were from the neighboring county and were the first girls sent. I think they were also part of the Earl Grey Scheme. Mary came in the second group of 190 girls. I found a newspaper article telling of the girls leaving Galway and sailing to Plymouth on the Shannon. The boarded the Lady Kennaway from there. I've certainly made inroads with Mary but still have much to learn. I'm hoping to travel to Wales and Ireland at the end of the year and would love to have more info before I leave. Thanks again Dawn, very much appreciated. Caron
Rees Mitchell Lee Petch