Author Topic: canada seafarers of the atlantic provinces 1789-1935  (Read 335 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
canada seafarers of the atlantic provinces 1789-1935
« on: Friday 21 April 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I believe I may have knocked down a brick wall in my family tree, my Great Grandfather Robert Bonallie  born c1849 disappeared after the death of his wife Grace in Eston, Yorkshire in 1883, Roberts family lived in Sunderland and although I could find no trace of him after 1883 in England I had a feeling he would surface eventually.

There was a 4 day free pass on Ancestry at the weekend and I discovered a Robert Bonallie but spelt with one L not LL, is on the Canada seafarers list same age born in England departing 2 Nov 1885 on Lottie a Barquentine H876045 heading towards North Shields a short distance away from his family he stays on board the vessel until reaching Florida in 1886, but didn't make it as far as North Shields, it says he left by mutual agreement? there was no image available to this record and I noticed on mun.ca today that there are also records for seafarers called Bomalie, Bonalli, Bonelle and Bonelly, if anyone has access to the records and can tell me if they are also related to Robert Bonallie I would be very grateful.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: canada seafarers of the atlantic provinces 1789-1935
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
I did a search for the variations you listed (with no first name) and came up empty. The only entry I could find was the same as you referenced.

I tried to do some searches of the US census but also came up empty with that as well.

Jacquie

P.S. What is mun.ca?
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

Thanks for trying to help, some ancestors did a very good job of hiding and starting a new life.  I found the Surnames from Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada

https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/names/

I thought finding variants of Bonallie would help, but as you say it all seems to draw a blank, at least we tried

Regards

Julie

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Do you have the newspaper article on the inquest of the death of wife Grace? Although the inquest found she died of medical reasons, the inquest was done as the death was deemed suspicious, and Robert was called in as witness.  Perhaps town gossip drove him away?
The article gives his workplace, home address etc.

If you don't have it, and would like a copy, let me know where to email it to via private message.

Barb

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Link to thread in Immigrants & Emigrants - General section:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770001.0
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz