Author Topic: John Anderson, Ballyshannon  (Read 6284 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Anderson, Ballyshannon
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
About the John Anderson who was referenced earlier in the 1911 Canada census, linked below as a refresher....

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=17163

I have taken a closer look at this record and I don't think he is your John. I believe this John was b Iceland, not Ireland. Under the racial or tribal origin column I believe it says Icelander, not Irish as it says fo others listed as b Ireland. If you carefully examine the writing over the entire page for words like Scotch and Scotland, with particular attention to the C, they look very similar in Scotland/Scotch and Icelander and differ from the R in Ireland and Irish in other parts of the page. John states he has been in Canada from 1884-1904.

I also believe this family is still in Prince Rupert in the 1921 Census and the POB for John J Anderson is definitely Iceland. They have a third son, Karl age 5 (but indexed as 8), plus Martin age 14 and Jack (John variant?) age 10. Frustratingly, all family members except Karl are down as b Iceland (but see below).

This same family appears to have entered the USA in December 1923. On the list of aliens applying for admission are John Julius b Iceland, Mary b England, and John B and Karl b Canada. Martin is not on this list b/c he would not be considered an alien (b in USA in 1911 census). John has his father living in Prince Rupert.

Thi family is then traceable in the 1930 and 1940 US censuses in California. John is indexed as b Ireland but the image says Iceland. The 1930 census is somewhat inconsistent about POB but I believe it is the same family.

This appears to be Martin's marriage....father b Iceland.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GBHG-DZ3?mode=g&i=379&cc=1878749

Anyway, I put this out as food for thought but I really don't think the Prince Rupert John is your John. The decision is up to you, however.

By the way, does your John have a second name the way his siblings do?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 April 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you polarbear, I looked closely at the information as well and I think you're right. It definitely looks like Iceland. Sadly John has no middle name, he is called after his grandfather, who is also simply John.
He appears on the 1901 Census in Legaltan, Ballyshannon along with his father Thomas, sister and brothers.

Again, thank you for taking another look at John, I appreciate your help!
Back to the drawing board!
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 27 April 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's too bad he doesn't appear to be yours.

This has been a most interesting thread! Pleased I have been able to help  :).

PB

Edited: I have deleted something I put about the 1911 census connected to William and Kate. I had forgotten they hadn't arrived in Canada yet. John is certainly elusive!
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 April 17 08:10 BST (UK) »
Even getting this far has been amazing!
Again I want to thank you for getting me this far.....the search continues!
Thank you
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 June 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
This is a wonderful site for amateurs searching for connections to their family tree and I'm very grateful to everyone who has assisted me so far.
Can anyone advise me how to take my search further in following up the children of Kate and George Buchanan. Is there a site or search engine that I can use to assist me.
There has to be family still alive and it would be so wonderful to make contact.
Again thank you to everyone who has helped me so far.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 June 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From the Lodi, California Newspaper, obituary for Mary G. O'Hair, b. Mary Grace Buchanan July 21,
1917 Winnipeg, Manitoba to George and Kathleen Buchanan, d. January 9, 2012 Lodi, California.
Predeceased by husband Bob and two sisters Bella Anderson, Katty (sp) Maubert. Survived by
4 sons and one sister.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lodinews/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=155516062

Cheers,
DB

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 June 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Trevbet.

I noticed you have started a new thread related to Kate and George. Looks like you are getting lots of info through it  :). I am going to post a link to it here since it is related to your most recent post on this thread. Hope you will be able to make contact with a living family member.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=772709.0

PB

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 04 June 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB, :)  I didn't see that other post on the USA board.

Cheers,
DB

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 June 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you dbree and polarbear, making great headway with Kate and her family, it's been amazing!
Struggling with John, so many John Andersons!!
We met up with 2nd cousins of the Anderson family today that we made contact with through Rootschat. They are on a tour from Winnipeg and we met in Belfast and it was lovely to share all this new information with them, they had no idea either that Kate had immigrated as well.

So thank you to everyone for their help!
 Betty