Author Topic: Nathaniel Wilson of Belfast / Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nathaniel Wilson of Belfast / Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare
« on: Friday 21 April 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Two potentially unrelated families here…

Nathaniel Wilson was a prominent cotton manufacturer in Belfast who died on the 20th June 1788.  He was probably only in his 30s or 40s and was survived by his mother Elizabeth who died in 1796.  He also had a brother Stephen Wilson who died in Baltimore in 1794 aged 38.

Going by newspaper notices in 1788/9, Nathaniel Wilson appears to have owned a large part of the townland of Ballyclare (on the north side of the river).  According to his will he also held land in Le Ballyclare (on the south side of the river) and Ballygallagh, which he bought from Thomas and John Wilson.

After his death, the land and houses in Ballyclare was sold in 27 lots which are detailed in the Belfast Newsletter.  This includes the size of the farms, sometimes the approximate locations, and also the names of the tenants.  I thought I’d post extracts here in case they someday prove of use to someone.

I’m also hoping someone will know more about this Wilson family.  Below is what I know so far:

Unknown Wilson had sons:
    William Wilson (alive in 1788)
    Unknown Wilson, who married Elizabeth (who d. 1796) and had:
               Nathaniel Wilson (d. 1788)
               Stephen Wilson (c1756-1794)
               Arminella Wilson m. Alexander Orr and had a son James born before 1796
               Elizabeth Wilson (alive in 1796)
               Catherine Wilson (alive in 1796) … not allowed to marry Samuel Woolsey (acc. to her mother’s will)

I also want to know if these Wilsons are connected to the Wilson family of Le Ballyclare and Ballygallagh which I’ll post about below too.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nathaniel Wilson of Belfast / Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
(Belfast Newsletter, 26-30th December 1788)

BALLYCLARE

The townland of Ballyclare, late Nath. Wilson’s will be sold in separate lots or farms, at the times undermentioned, in the Market House, Belfast, to the highest bidders, by W. Cunningham, James Holmes, and Co.

First Day’s Sale (Friday 2nd January 1789)

Lot 1.
Arable and pasture land, 32A. 2R. including the moss band.  Occupied by John Walker, Alexander Kirk and John Kirk, tenants at will.

Lot 2.
Arable and pasture land, 24A. 2R. 20P.  Occupied by Wm. Morrison and John Hunter, tenants at will.

Lot 3.
Arable and pasture land, 26A. 2R.  Occupied by Samuel Alexander and James Louden, tenants at will.

Lot 4.
Arable and pasture land, 32A. 2R.  Occupied by John McBride.

Lot 5.
Arable and pasture land, 33A.  Occupied by Robert Dunkin.

Lot 6.
Land, including the moss band, 42A. 2R. 36P.  Of this farm 8A. 2R. are now occupied by Alexander McAllester, 15A. 2R. by George Craig, 8A. 0R. 20P by John Quin, Pat. Murphy, and Widow Robinson, and 12A. 2R. 16P. by John Wilson, all tenants at will.

Second Day’s Sale (Friday, 9th January 1789)

Lot 7.
House and garden in the town of Ballyclare, with farm adjoining, containing together 10A. 2R. 32P.  Occupied by Joseph Kirkpatrick.

Lot 8.
House and garden in Ballyclare, with farm adjoining, containing together 9A. 2R. 0P.  Occupied by John Taggart.

Lot 9.
Land, 7A. ?R. 10P. lying along the Six Mile Water.  Occupied by Lowdy Shannon.

Lot 10.
Land, 6A. 1R. 0P. joining the townland of Ballyeaston, formerly Doctor Maffett’s (Massett’s?), occupied by Robert Bartholomew.

Lot 11.
Craig Farm, containing 80 acres.  This farm Mr. Wilson had in his own occupation.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
Third Day’s Sale (Friday 16th January 1789)

Lot 12.
Land, 41A. 0R. 0P.  Adjoining the townland of Doagh.  The lands lie part above and part below the great road leading from Ballyclare to Doagh, and are occupied by Robert Martin, John Robinson, Robert Robinson, and Ezekiel McIlroy, tenants to Mr. John Forsyth.

Lot 13.
Land, 9A. 0R. 24P.  Bounded on the south side by the mill-race, on the west and north by the Revd. Mr. Marshall, and on the east side by Mr. Marshall and Dennis Conway.  Occupied by David Burns and others, tenants to Mr. John Forsyth.

Lot 14.
Town Parks, 6A. 0R. 20P.  Bounded by sundry houses and gardens, by road to Mr. Marshall’s, by Mr. Marshall’s farm and by John Crunshie’s farm.  Occupied by Alex. Adams and Pat. Moore.  Also the following houses and tenements in the town of Ballyclare, viz. that tenement lying between the road to Mr. Marshall’s on the south and the tenement of Thomas Bean and Pat. McKeever on the north; all that tenement lying between William Rowan’s tenement on the south and John Crunshie’s tenement on the north; and all that tenement lying between the Meeting-house yard on the south and Alex. McAllester’s tenements on the north.  All those houses, lands and tenements are occupied by under-tenants of Mr. John Forsyth.

Lot 15.
Tenement and houses in Ballyclare, lying between John McMeekin’s tenement on the south, and the Meeting-house yard on the north, occupied by the under-tenants of Mr. John Forsyth.

Lot 16.
Tenement and houses in Ballyclare, and a farm lying on the road to Doagh, containing together 10A. 1R. 0P.  Occupied by William Rowan.

Lot 17.
Tenement and houses in Ballyclare, and a farm lying between Wm. Rowan’s and Joseph Killpatrick’s, containing together 10A. 2R. 32P.  Occupied by under-tenants of Mr. Stafford Gorman.

Lot 18.
Tenement and houses in Ballyclare, and a farm lying between Joseph Killpatrick’s and John Taggart’s, containing 10A. 2R. 32P.  Held by John McCreight.

Lot 19.
The Meeting-house meadow, containing 4A. 0R. 10P.  Held by John McCreight.

Fourth Day’s Sale

Lot 20.
House and garden in Ballyclare and a small plot of ground adjoining.  Held by John McMeekin.

Lot 21.
Tenement, houses and gardens in Ballyclare lying between the Six Mile Water and John McCreight’s houses and gardens.  And another tenement lying between the Six Mile Water and the road to Mr. Marshal’s, plus 3A. 3R. of land adjoining the mill-race.  Held by Dennis Conway

Lot 22.
Tenement, houses and gardens in Ballyclare between the market-place and a tenemenr of Mr. Forsyth’s, and 5A. 3R. 30P. of land behind said tenement and behind the market-place.  Held by John Crunshie.

Lot 23.
Tenement, houses and gardens in Ballyclare, on the west side of the Great Street, and between Will Rowan’s tenement on the north and one of Mr. Forsyth’s on the south.  Also 13A. 1R. 4P. of land on the east side of the road to Ballymena.  Held by Pat. McKeever and Thomas Bean.

Lot 24.
Houses and gardens in Ballyclare and fields behind them, containing together 7A.  Held by Alexander McAlester.

Lot 25.
Farm lying between the road to Ballyeaston and Ballyclare Moss, containing 26A.  Held by Alexander Duboys.

Lot 26.
Farm lying on the road to Ballyeaston, containing 11 acres.  Held by William Poaug and John Poaug.

Lot 27.
Farm on the road to Ballyeaston, containing 10A. 3R. 0P.  Held by Bernard McIlroy.

TERMS OF SALE

One fourth part of the purchase money of each lot to be paid down by way of deposit at the sale, and the remainder to be divided into three equal parts, and made payable in three, six and nine months from the day of sale with satisfactory security, interest included.
N.B.  The whole term granted in the Grand Lease from Lord Donegall, (one month only excepted) will be granted to the Purchaser of each lot, with the tenant right, and every right of renewal. --- Edward Moore, at the Craig, adjoining Ballyclare, will shew the lands, and every other information may be had by applying to Robert Thomson at Belfast.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
I mentioned in my first post that I’m also quite keen to figure out if Nathaniel Wilson was connected to the Wilsons of Le Ballyclare and Ballygallagh.  Below is a newspaper which contains some important details for this family.

Northern Whig, 5th Aug 1841
John Forsythe, Esq., examined by Mr. Holmes - I have a deed of 3d October 1713 - (Produces it).  I am agent to Mr. Dobbs, and receive the fee farm rents of Le-Ballyclare for him, under this deed.  (The deed was a grant of the lands of Le-Ballyclare, from Richard Dobbs, Esq., to Thomas Wilson.  Witness produced, also, a conveyance of said lands to Thomas Wilson, jun., from Thos. Wilson, sen, his father; and a deed of 1787, conveying the fee to Charles Cyrmble, Esq. These were admitted by the defendant’s council.)  I knew Mr. Crymble, who died about 1797.  He left two daughters, but no sons - One, named Anne, was afterwards married, but the other, Clementina, remained unmarried.  [Mr. Holmes here read a deed of 2d August, 1821, from Mr. and Mrs. Dickson (Anne Crymble), and Clementina Crymble, conveying the aforesaid lands to Wm. Simms, Esq., his heirs and assigns.  The lease included all the streams, etc, in Le-Ballyclare, with a right to erect weirs, etc, below the tail-race from the works of R. & J. Bell & Co., and to convey the water to the paper mill of Blow, Ward, and Greenfield, through the lands demised by the lease.  ...........   Andrew McSkimm, examined by Mr. Hutton - I am 77 years old. I was bred and born in the townland of Le-Ballyclare.  When I was a boy, it belonged to Mr. Thomas Wilson.  I remember Mr. Wilson’s making a new cut from Ballygallagh river to his garden, through the glen.  This is about 60 years since. [c1781]

One theory is that one of these Thomas Wilsons was the Rev. Thomas Wilson who was ordained in Ballyclare in 1711 and in 1725 was one of the founders of the Presbytery of Antrim.  In 1757 he was struck off for “marrying persons in a clandestine manner” (I think that means without Banns).

In 1765 a Thomas Wilson of Le Ballyclare, “now in the 83rd year of my age” wrote his will, but since a Mr Arthur Lusk owed him “a very great sum but I have lost all hope of it” he bemoaned his lack of property.  He names his…

Son Thomas Wilson (inherits books, pamphlets, manuscripts and papers)
Daughter Widow Bullock
Grandson Thomas Marshal
Grandson Thomas Ellet
Grandson Thomas Robinson

If it wasn’t for his apparent lack of property I’d have assumed this was the Thomas Wilson senior mentioned in the Northern Whig article.  Though I suppose he may already have signed over his land and house(s) to his son as article suggests.  Since the Rev. Thomas Wilson had been struck off a few years earlier, this man could still be the ex-Rev too.

This, I think, is the death notice of the second Thomas Wilson:

Belfast Newsletter, 10-14 Jan 1794:
On Sunday last, Mr. Thomas Wilson, of Ballyclare. -- To the native simplicity of his manners, which rendered him acceptable to society, was added the integrity of an honest mind, which made him respectable.  He possessed a fund of humor, which neither the approach of old age, the hand of adversity, nor even the severity of disease could exhaust.

So far my working hypothesis is:

(Rev?) Thomas Wilson of Le Ballyclare c1682-1766
              Thomas Wilson of Le Ballyclare c1720? – 1794
                             John Wilson of Le Ballyclare (c1760? - ?)
                             Thomas Wilson of Le Ballyclare (c1770? - ?)

Again, I’m just hoping someone has more information on these Wilsons.  Does anyone know more about the Rev. Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare?  Is there evidence to link the families of Nathaniel Wilson and the Wilsons of Le Ballyclare?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
Other possible mentions of these Wilsons of Le Ballyclare:

1725 – The will of David Archibald of Drumadaragh names his “Dear brother Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare”.  I’m assuming he meant brother-in-law, unless he meant it religiously...?

1777 – Taylor and Skinner’s Road map shows only one house close to Ballyclare, labelled “Wilson Esqr”.

1782 – A lease of 1782 (PRONI D542/28) mentioned “Thomas Wilson then of Ballyclare, Gentleman and John Wilson the eldest son of the said Thomas”.

1786 – The will of John Gillilan of Holestone mentions the “daughters of Thomas Wilson” of Ballyc?..? (I assume Ballyclare).

1788 – The will of Nathaniel Wilson, mentioned in the first post, refers to land “purchased from Thos ….. John Wilson of Lee Ballyclare” held under Richard Dobbs.

1790 – A Thomas Wilson, son of Thomas Wilson of Le Ballyclare, graduated from the University of Glasgow.  There’s no date given but it does say “possible Thomas Wilson, M.D. Edin. 1790”.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
An update.

Unknown Wilson had sons:
    William Wilson (alive in 1788)
    Unknown Wilson, who married Elizabeth (who d. 1796) and had:
               Nathaniel Wilson (d. 1788)
               Stephen Wilson (c1756-1794)
               Arminella Wilson m. Alexander Orr and had a son James born before 1796
               Elizabeth Wilson (alive in 1796)
               Catherine Wilson (alive in 1796) … not allowed to marry Samuel Woolsey (acc. to her mother’s will)

I now know that Elizabeth (highlighted above) was the daughter of Stephen Haven, merchant, Belfast.  I still don't know what her husband's name was.

The below shows there was a link between the families of Nathaniel Wilson of Belfast and Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare:

PRONI D1824.C.1.1.1.1

This indenture made the twenty ninth day of April one thousand seven hundred and forty five between…

1st part.
Reverend Thomas Wilson of Le Ballyclare in the County of Antrim

2nd part.
Doctor William Gamble, Stephen Haven merchant, both of Belfast, and Thomas Wilson the younger of Le Ballyclare aforesaid, linendraper

Thomas Wilson in consideration of the rents etc has leased to the said William, Stephen and Thomas, all that farm containing nine acres, Irish plantation measure, bounded on the south by the brook running between Ballygallagh and Le Ballyclare, on the east by William Gardiner’s farm, on the north and west by a new ditch enclosing these premises and meared by the said Thomas Wilson the elder’s farm, together with all the water going into the premises for a bleaching green.

For the lives of William Haven and Stephen Haven the younger, sons of Stephen Haven the elder, and for the life of Thomas Wilson the younger.

A few years later (still in the 1740s) Thomas Wilson and William Gamble sold their shares to Stephen Haven.

By 1775 William Haven and Stephen Haven the younger had died, so Stephen Haven the elder nominated his grandsons Nathaniel Wilson and Stephen Wilson in their place.

In 179(4?) Elizabeth Wilson had become the holder of the lease.  Thomas Wilson and Nathaniel Wilson had died, so she nominated her grandsons Robert Orr and Alexander Orr.

By 1804 Elizabeth Wilson had died, as had Stephen Wilson, so Elizabeth's executors nominated Mary Orr, daughter of Alexander Orr as another life.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 July 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Sale of lease of Le Ballyclare from Richard Dobbs to Thomas Wilson in 1713:

Book 14 / Page 308 / Number 6282
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNJ-G1ZJ?i=177&cat=185720
Memorial of deed dated 2nd Oct 1713 between Richard Dobbs of Castledobbs and Thomas Wison of Le Ballyclare Gent.  Whereby Richard Dobbs in consideration of £50 granted to Thomas Wilson the parcel of land of Le Ballyclare then in possession of said Thomas Wilson, William Knowles and James McCalmond bounded on the east by Mulligan Hill als Clements Hill, on the south by Ballygelogh [Ballygallagh], on the west by Six Mile Water and on the north by Skellarranbane [Skilganabane].  Thomas Wilson to have and to hold for the yearly rent of £18 10s.  Witnessed by John Hasty / Kasty of Killroot [Kilroot] Gent and John McComb of Ballynewre [Ballynure] linendraper, and John Park of the same farmer, and Andrew McAlexander of the same farmer.

In his will (1730) James McCalmount of Ballynure mentions the rents due to Rev. Thomas Wilson.  In a roundabout way I think this helps prove the Thomas Wilson of Le Ballyclare who wrote his will in 1765 aged 82 was the former Presbyterian Minister (who seems to have originated in Scotland).

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
More connections.  In his 1725 will (PRONI D1824/B/1/1/3/4) David Archbald of Drumadaragh names his "dear brother Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare".  David was married to Jane Wilson (presumably Thomas' sister) who it turns out remarried in c1727 to John Wilson of Ballylagan...

Book 86 / Page 502 / Number 61534
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSHS-T9XC?i=555&cat=185720
Memorial of articles of marriage between John Wilson of Ballylagan and Jane Archbald als Wilson of Dromadorack [Drumadarragh] agreed to by James Wilson father of said John.  Said James for the encouragement of said marriage doth hereby bind himself to give to his son John one half of his farm which he hold be lease from Mr Dobbs, provided that if said John have not occasion to dwell on it, he shall let any of his brothers have it at a reasonable price.  John doth bind himself that if said Jane should die before John [surely this should be the other way about?] without children to him then she shall have what profits belonging to her out of the farm in Ballynure according to David Archbald’s will to dispose of at her death to whom she pleases.  Dated 8th Apr 1727.  Witnessed by Thomas Wilson of Ballyclare and Joseph Willson of Antrim.

A lease of 1761 (D1824/B/1/1/3/21) shows that at that time John Wilson and Jane Wilson (nee Archbald, nee Wilson) were both still alive.  The lease concerned the freehold in Ballynure which was left by David Archbald to his widow Jane, which she held for 20 years, and which was now long since entitled to David Archbald junior.

John Wilson of Burnside, Drumadarragh wrote his will in December 1764 (PRONI T283/A).  He mentions the holding he possesses in Ballylagan which he leaves to his wife (not named, but presumably Jane). 

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Family tree of the Wilson of Le Ballyclare as I currently have it:

____ WILSON (Scotland?)
     1. (Rev.) Thomas WILSON (c1682-1766)
             a. Thomas WILSON m. (c1753) Mary Ann McALEXANDER (had sons Thomas and John)
             b. (female) WILSON m. BULLOCK (d. bef. 1765)
             c. (female) WILSON m. MARSHALL (had son Thomas MARSHALL)
             d. (female) WILSON m. ELLET (had son Thomas ELLET)
             e. (female) WILSON m. ROBINSON (had son Thomas ROBINSON)
      2. Jane WILSON m1. David ARCHBALD (d. c1725)
             a. David ARCHBALD
             b. Elizabeth ARCHBALD
          Jane WILSON m2. (c1727) John WILSON (d. c1765)
             a. James WILSON
             b. (female) WILSON m. STEPHENSON
             c. (female) WILSON m. CRAIG
             d. (female) WILSON m. WALLACE