Author Topic: John Sampson burial record  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Sampson burial record
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:10 BST (UK) »
Have you found (the correct) John Sampson in the 1850 census?  :-\

I'm confident I have the right John Sampson.

I wasn't implying that you didn't have the correct John, William and Charles; I saw the "seaman" census and wondered if you had found "your" John in 1850.  I hope that makes sense.   ;)

I'll be back in a few minutes...
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:32 BST (UK) »
You most likely have seen the digital newspaper links before, but in case you haven't:
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/#tab=tab_advanced_search

I still find it interesting that while there are numerous accounts of Sampson before and after his death, that there is no mention of his actual death.  ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:49 BST (UK) »
It's odd that his partners have not yet been found (in the 1850 census).  Perhaps they were away from town and were not included in the census, or perhaps the census image is too faint to read?

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 June 19 12:13 BST (UK) »
well I'm still searching for the final resting place of John Sampson. Having read through the many pages of his probate the series of events seem to be as follows. John got sick in early September 1850, In Marysville Yuba county. . His brother Charles ordered a carriage to take him to San Jose. Why? Was there better medical assistance there? John died 10 or 12 days later.
Why did Charles buy calico to refurbish the place John was boarding. Was it to cover windows (maybe no glass in them) or, was it to replace sheets etc. after John died (incase what he had was infectious.)
Nothing in his probate to indicate where he was buried, but, funeral expenses including a burial fee indicates he was. Now I only need a burial record for him. Can anyone tell me if there were such a thing as death certificates in 1850 in San Jose and how would I access one? 

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 June 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
You might try contacting the Yuba County Museum and History.  John Sampson is mentioned in the below article as having entered into contract with Jose Manuel Ramirez to mine for metals in the mines at Alta, CA.
https://www.yubacountyhistory.org/ramirezcastle.html
……………………………………

Book: Five Views: An Ethnic Historic Site Survey for California
https://tinyurl.com/y4ctpdac
page 256, 257

According to this book, Sampson was one of 4 who laid out the town of Marysville, so the museum should have some information on him.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 June 19 14:58 BST (UK) »
Going on Lisa's query as to why he would be "transported" to San Jose; Since he and Jose arrived in CA about 1849 and were 2 of the 4 who laid out the town of Marysville, there probably wasn't a cemetery developed yet, when he died.  Therefore, he may have been transported to the nearest cemetery.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 June 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Some questions to consider:

Marysville is 41 miles away from Sacramento.  Marysville is 157 miles away from San Jose (using today's routes).  The old Sacramento cemetery was established in 1849 - if Mr. Sampson was buried away from Marysville, why wasn't he taken somewhere like Sacramento?

Was Mr. Sampson transported to San Jose for medical treatment?  It seems quite far for an ill man to have travelled such a great distance.

According to the internet, Marysville City Cemetery was established in 1850.  Could he have been buried there?  It seems unlikely, but could his burial records have been lost and possibly a (possible) hastily made headstone deteriorated over time so there is now no evidence of his burial?

Why did Charles buy calico to refurbish the place John was boarding. Was it to cover windows (maybe no glass in them) or, was it to replace sheets etc. after John died (incase what he had was infectious.)

I thought the following was mentioned in this thread, but I do not see it so perhaps it was discussed in another "early California" thread...

Mourning cloth/bunting was purchased for the house of a newly-departed person.  I don't know why they would have used calico, ??? but the cost of the material seems too high to have been for simple household use, especially considering the costs of the other items mentioned.

"...I cannot easily read the writing, but also written on the page is:
"Carriage for J Sampson to? San Jose(?)" and possibly "$64.00"

Could he have been transported to San Jose, California for burial?
Does it even actually state "Carriage for J Sampson to San Jose - $64.00"?..."

...Wording from image 1403 (apologies for any errors - I'm not used to the penmanship style - some words are purely guesses)  :-\   :
Estate of J. Sampson ? CB Sampson
Carriage for J Sampson to? San? Jose? - 64.00

Is there a possibility that "Carriage for J Sampson to? San Jose" is not the correct wording?  It doesn't appear to be "from San Jose" but could it be something else?  Perhaps he was in San Jose, became ill and was then transported to Marysville?  Was the wording actually "San Jose"?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 June 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to research the funeral costs to see what the average costs may have been in California during that time period?  Perhaps it might provide clues?  Perhaps if you do contact the Yuba County Museum someone might be able to provide answers?  Please be aware that there could be a nominal fee incurred for answering questions.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 June 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
There is a listing of the probate in England that states he died in Marysville:
26 Jun 1873
Effects less than 200 pounds
"Administrations of the effects of John Sampson who late of the City of Marysville, Upper California, Esquire a bachelor who died 22 Sep 1850 in the said City left unadministered by Augusta Sampson, spinster, sister, was granted at the Principal Registry to Ellen Davies of Castle Fields Shrewbury in the county of Salop, widow and sister.  Former Grant Perogative Court of Canterbury, Feb. 1851"

The source for this is either England & Wales, Index of Wills and Probates, 1853-1943
or the actual title:  Calendar of the Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration Made in the Principal Registry and in the Several District Registries of Her Majesty's Court of Probate.  1873