Author Topic: Jeffery of Sherborne and Weymouth  (Read 1600 times)

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeffery of Sherborne and Weymouth
« on: Saturday 22 April 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
Greetings,
I'm researching the family of Jeffery (as above) and have run into a brick wall. If anyone has some hints regarding where tro go from here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly some information. You'll need to bear with me a bit, as there is some background information.

We have a William Jeffery, (baptised Sherborne 27 Dec 1745) who married Elizabeth Ann Hart (baptised 25 Feb 1747) who married in Sherborne 12 Dec 1776. William's baptism has Thomas and Hannah as parents.

There are two Thomas/Hannah marriages that may be relevant as follows, both at Castleton:
Thomas Jeffery of Castleton married Hannah Wayfield of Sherborne 22 Dec 1737
Thomas Jeffery of Chetnole married Hannah Wattiss of Thornford 10 Dec 1737.
The second is problematic as the Chetnole (from the transcription) has a last letter d in the original and the Wattiss surname, on reexamination, looks more like Walker. There is a Hannah Walker baptised in Thornford around the right dates.

Anyway, the first marriage (the one I'm really interested in) has a license from the Sarum Marriage License bonds in which Thomas is described as a widower, and Hannah is described as a widow.

This would mean that there should be a marriage somewhere with unknown male Wayfield married Hannah unknown female. I can't find such a marriage in Ancestry, Findmypast or Familysearch. I've gone through both the Sherborne and Castleton PRs (I have copies of the originals) with no luck. The name Wayfield appears lots in the early PRs, then mostly disappears around the early 1700s.

Any pointers as to where I may be able to go from here would be gratefully received and, if anyone is researching this lot, I have lots of information regarding other parts of the family.

I've attached the relevant part of the Castleton PR.

Best regards, Keith Jeffery

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jeffery of Sherborne and Weymouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes it is bugger
The first husband is Valentine Wayfield a widower from Sherborne who married by licence 31.10.1710 at Haydon Dorset to  Hannah Eyers of Sherborne spinster.
bondsman Francis King junior

He was buried at Sherborne 19.8.1734 affidavit before vicar of Sherborne Mr Lacy 24th by Elizabeth Chaplain that he was buried in woolen.(It' in the records for Castleton though strangely).

The only possible I can see for her is a Ann Eyers d of Thomas and Mary  26.8.1680 at Dilton Wiltsshire

Does that fit? It's a bit of a push unless she was really young when she married in 1710.

Ciderdrinker

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes it is bugger
The first husband is Valentine Wayfield a widower from Sherborne who married by licence 31.10.1710 at Haydon Dorset to  Hannah Eyers of Sherborne spinster.
bondsman Francis King junior

He was buried at Sherborne 19.8.1734 affidavit before vicar of Sherborne Mr Lacy 24th by Elizabeth Chaplain that he was buried in woolen.(It' in the records for Castleton though strangely).

The only possible I can see for her is a Ann Eyers d of Thomas and Mary  26.8.1680 at Dilton Wiltsshire

Does that fit? It's a bit of a push unless she was really young when she married in 1710.

Ciderdrinker

Thanks muchly for this. Do you know where I can find a copy of the information you gave?

Regards, Keith Jeffery

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Assuming William Jeffery (baptised Sherborne 27 Dec 1745) was born in 1745, he is not going to have a mother baptised in 1680. She would be 65!
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Assuming William Jeffery (baptised Sherborne 27 Dec 1745) was born in 1745, he is not going to have a mother baptised in 1680. She would be 65!

Unfortunately true. The date for William's mother was tossed in as a place holder and to try to help with Ancestry's peculiar way of providing hints, i.e. you need to know a date before Ancestry will give you a hint - for that date. We think that we have William's father tied down to 1700/01 and are now trying to verify his mother. We've actually found the distaff side easier to trace than the male side.

Thanks for the reminder.

Regards, Keith

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry to not get back to you sooner. I've been away for a few days.
The burial for Valentine Wayfield is on Ancestry and it also says he left a Will but it doesn't give you the full Will on there.Apparently his Will comes under a peculiar and is lodged at Wiltshire.He was a carpenter and it was proven 1735.
FindMyPast has the marriage bond, well a transcripton of the Bond.It also has the Wiltshire Baptism Index with the possible baptism.
If you don't have those and you pm perhaps I could pass them on.

Ciderdrinker

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 April 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast is having a free access period from today to 1st May for BMD and census (excluding 1939 register).

Why did two people from Sherborne marry by licence in another parish? One possibility is that Hannah was under 21 and couldn't get or didn't think she would get parental consent. Or she was pregnant or both.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott