Author Topic: Auguste Pierre de LAURET, criminal registers 1834  (Read 2175 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Auguste Pierre de LAURET, criminal registers 1834
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 April 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Someone has posted his marriage announcement from the Sydney Morning Herald dated 15 April 1850
He married Anna Marie Ursula Lett daughter of John Lett late of Wexford Ireland by special License
at St Mary's, Saturday last.

Would the license give his parents names? he was definitely over the age of consent. 

Added
Does the Lett family in Wexford Ireland have any information about him ? stories handed down, letters written home by Anna or her father etc.

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 April 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
It has not been explained why it was at St Mary's Cathedral, here in Sydney.
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 April 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
This is the Australian thread, which has just found more on his Pondicherry origins.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769715.msg6226664#new

UK links once you start looking at the marriages of his children you realize how much England was more important and its straight into Burke's Peerage if you want to research. Family names Dalglish and Bellasis appear more than once. There are mentions of BHP as well.
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 April 17 02:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry - we (I  ::))seem to have muddied the waters somewhat now with information being on both threads.

Thank you so much, amondg.  I have found the newspaper refs and am delighted to have learnt that FindMyPast has a section for newspapers which I have never noticed before so off to look for some more for my own research!!

Here's a transcript of the mention, from
London Courier and Evening Gazette, 22 May 1834
COMMITTAL OF THE FRENCH SWINDLER
Auguste Pierre de Noni, alias Count d'Pron, alias the Chevalier de Lounet was committed by trial for obtaining, by false representations, a valuable dinner and tea service of china, of Mr Courtenay, 34 Old Bond St, under the circumstances already stated in our paper of Tuesday.
The same paragraph is also reprted in
The Morning Post (London, England), Thursday, May 22, 1834

Amondg, the Alien arrivals in London is most interesting also.  Yes, his wife did live in England later, as did some of his children.  She died in 1933 1901 (thanks, amondg) and probate granted both in England and in NSW, with the estates having differing values so I assume she had interests in both places. 

Seems to me that the Pondicherry birth findings on the other thread explain a lot!!

As to the marriage being in St Mary's cathedral I speculate that this is because both parties were of Roman Catholic faith. 

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 April 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
If his wife died in 1933 she would have been 112 years old.
Her probate was 1902 London. Her death recorded 1901 NSW Australia

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 April 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
Bother - shouldn't rely on fading memory.   :-[ :o  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk