Author Topic: Trying to trace Elizabeth Gordon's family back to Scotland  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Expert help needed please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 April 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Just to say the Elizabeth I found in the 1851 census is recorded as Elizabeth Gordon (not Johnston). I have modified my previous post accordingly.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace Elizabeth Gordon's family back to Scotland
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 April 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Think I I found Peter Gordon's birth which would suggest that Mary Johnson was their mother.

Name   Peter Gordon
Gender   Male
Christening Date   21 Jul 1825
Christening Place   SAINT NICHOLAS, ABERDEEN, ABERDEEN, SCOTLAND
Father's Name   William Gordon
Mother's Name   Mary

:)
Don't know why I smiled lol. That hasn't helped me at all. Can't find a birth for Elizabeth with parents William & Mary, so if I do get marriage cert & says father William doesn't get me anywhere.
Can't find marriage of Mary Gordon to John Johnson & can't find 1851 census ???

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 April 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
The 1851 on FindMyPast has, transcribed as 'Gorden', in the Johnston household,

stepson, Peter Gorden, married,  born Aberdeen

stepdaughter Margaret Gorden, married, born Sunderland, but if, as seems, this is Peter's wife, should probably read, stepdaughter in-law. 

as well as stepdaughter Elizabeth Gorden

All as mentioned by Millmoor.

Certainly it is looking like Mary is mum to the Gordon siblings, but has subsequently, perhaps having been widowed, married John Johnston. The birth locations of the Gordon siblings suggest a lot of moving around the country. I wonder if their father was in the army at all.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 April 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Gretna Green marriage registers show a marriage between John Johnston of the parish of St Cuthbert in Cumberland and Mary Gordon from the parish of Canongate in Edinburgh Scotland ... declared themselves single ... were married 26th day of July 1834.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 April 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotmum Sorry a bit confused is Elizabeth Gordon down as stepdaughter on 1851 census, if so looks like I have everything wrong as Elizabeth should be Elizabeth Backhouse on 1851 census

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 April 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Millmoor That looks interesting as Elizabeth was married St Cuthbert in Cumberland

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 April 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has Elizabeth Gordon as married and stepdaughter of John Johnston. I have come across married daughters before who,when residing with parents, have been recorded with their maiden name rather than their married name.

I have looked at the Groindexes for the mother's maiden name for the two youngest children of John and Mary Johnston. The only surname which seems to fit is Harris(s).

There do seem to be some public trees on ancestry which could give some pointers.

William

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 April 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi William  just heaved a big sigh of relief thank you so so much.