Author Topic: Alice Whitehead missing from 1841  (Read 2371 times)

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Whitehead missing from 1841
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 August 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hello All, I have reopened this thread if that is ok. Mosiefish I am happy with your 1851 census and that is probably my Alice as a widow and recently bereaved of her little daughter Hannah. Going back to 1841, heatherjulie, I got very excited as the baptism record of Alice Whitehead at St Nicholas Newchurch led me to an entire family living at Bridleway, all the children's baptisms were recorded as well as mum and dad's wedding but then I found that little Alice had died in 1825 age 3. I have all the census from 1851 to 1891 for Alice and they all have a variation for place of birth so I can't find a record for sure and it is hard to fit her into an 1841 census EXCEPT I have found one at Mereclough, Whalley, Burnley Union, Lancs. and the mother is Hannah so Alice may have named her first daughter after her. My problem is the geography of Alice's possible place of birth as Whalley is near Simonstone  and Burnley is near Padiham but the township of Cliviger doesn't really fit. I haven't found a baptism record to fit with parents John and Hannah Whitehead.  Does anyone know what Burnley Union was. Hope I can finally sort this one. Many thanks Sue

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 August 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Burnley Union is either the Union Workhouse, Burnley  or the name of the registration district depending where you have found reference to it
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 August 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
I assume this is the record - Burnley Union Registration district - Mereclough, Cliviger
HO107 /   507  bk 6 f19 p9

John   Whitehead   64   
Hannah 59   
Mary   21   
Alice   18   
Robert 6 months
all born in county   

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
I have all the census from 1851 to 1891 for Alice and they all have a variation for place of birth so I can't find a record for sure and it is hard to fit her into an 1841 census
EXCEPT
I have found one at Mereclough, Whalley, Burnley Union, Lancs. and the mother is Hannah so Alice may have named her first daughter after her.
I assume this is the record - Burnley Union Registration district - Mereclough, Cliviger
HO107 /   507  bk 6 f19 p9

John   Whitehead   64   
Hannah 59   
Mary   21   
Alice   18   
Robert 6 months
all born in county   

You would need to look at the original census to confirm but this looks to be the same family
on 1851 census and Alice Whitehead age 28 unmarried, Cliviger she is noted as
John occ pauper weaver & Hannah's granddaughter
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGN4-67J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 August 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the 1841 census I am considering but as you have traced the same family in 1851(still in Cliviger but spelt Whithead) I am afraid that eliminates them as my Alice had been married and widowed by 1851 and is seen as Hardman and lodging with the Hurtley family in 1851. Thanks anyway, back to searching!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 August 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Alice Whitehead born about 1822 possibly Padiham/Simonstone but not traced on any Lancs census 1841. Father's name according to her second marriage certificate was John. Alice married Samuel Hardman 17 Oct 1847, her residence Butterworth and his Buckley.

Her marriage to Samuel Hardman does not indicate a father so she could be illegitimate and the father on her 2nd marriage invented  ::)

From LancashireOPC
Marriage: 17 Oct 1847 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire
Samuel Hardman -  Full age, Spinner, Bachelor, abode Buckley
Alice Whitehead - Full age, Spinster, abode Butterworth
Groom's Father James Hardman, occ Fuller
Witnesses Thomas Ratcliffe &  Betty Crossley,

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 August 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
This is going to be the most likely story.  I have both marriage certificates. There is a baptism record for 1820 in Padiham but dad is a grocer. Perhaps Alice's mum didn't register her birth or didn't survive.Alice has stuck to the same year of birth throughout so I will have to accept it.