Author Topic: 5 Devon Street, Govan  (Read 583 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
5 Devon Street, Govan
« on: Saturday 22 April 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi.
My great grandfather James Masterton (1866-1954) was a gardener on lots of biggish estates from 1891.

He worked at Mains, Craigend (possibly Drumpellier), Rochsoles, Barncluith, Newland and then Baldernock. In the 1920 valuation rolls he was in Baldernock as a gardener but in 1925 he was living at 5 Devon Street, Govan. He was still listed as a gardener but I don't know the geography of the area well enough to work out if there were any reasonable size gardens near there or if he had fallen on hard times.
Please can anyone with a good knowledge of the area suggest somewhere that he might have been working so that I can look into it. He may have been unemployed but just continued to list himself as a gardener.
Thank you

Alison

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Devon Street, Govan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
The street lies between Glasgow Green and Queens Park, both of which, I'm sure, would have made good use of gardeners.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Devon Street, Govan
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that will teach me not to limit what i am looking for, I thought it would be a private home but now I can try and look into the council records, thanks
Alison