Author Topic: Desperately seeking Sarah (or Sadie) DOUGLAS b 1900/1  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Desperately seeking Sarah (or Sadie) DOUGLAS b 1900/1
« on: Saturday 22 April 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
This is my first post for a friend seeking an ancestor who was last recorded in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1926 although she may have come from/lived in another county, hence posting in the England forum. With the surname DOUGLAS, she also may have been from just over the border in Scotland.

Content removed at the request of the original poster

Flemming

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Sarah (or Sadie) Douglas b 1900/1
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Fleming.

If I were your friend, I would get Bernard DNA tested (or his descendants if he has passed away).  I have a similar problem with my Gran's adopted sister's mother.  If you're interested in reading about her, this is the thread here on Rootschat:- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=648730.0

Unfortunately my Gran's adopted sister didn't have any children, so I'm unable to pursue the DNA route to solve the mystery of her mother.

Have you tried local newspapers?  I presume you've looked for her on the 1939 Register?
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Sarah (or Sadie) Douglas b 1900/1
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello TerriG, thank you for your interest and your suggestions. DNA testing is not an option for various reasons but using the local press is a good idea and we’ll add it to the list.

The 1939 Register is a great resource but, sadly, hasn't provided any clues as yet. It's possible Sarah may have died before then, or left the country for a new start.

Thank you for the link to your own conundrum, which is quite fascinating. The letter, in particular, is a wonderful treasure and I will make a post in the thread.

Best wishes
Flemming

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Sarah (or Sadie) DOUGLAS b 1900/1
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 17 00:55 BST (UK) »

"..he was brought up by step-parents "

Can you clarify this please. Do you mean that he was brought up by a couple, one of whom was his relative?

Where are you seeing Sarah DOUGLAS to be also named as Sadie?

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Wivenhoe, nice to meet you and thank you for your interest.

The step-parents were an older, married couple already with children. They have been researched thoroughly and not relations of Sarah. I’m not at liberty to publish their story but can say they lived in the same area as Sarah and knew her for a short time (as Sadie). There was some suggestion Sarah may have had another, older son by a different father (and looked after by Sarah’s mother in Scotland but this tale is extremely weak), and also that she went to London in 1926 and never returned (although also a suggestion she was seen many years later in Newcastle). This is why our search has gone beyond T&W.

The situation sounds very like that described by TerriG in reply #1 above: good people took in a baby who couldn’t be raised by its birth mother but contact with her ceased very soon after.

At the link TerriG gives, brigidmac describes her own similar situation and that an affiliation order helped identify the birth father. We have spent time investigating records at the local archives and magistrates’ office but not looked at this angle and it’s one we probably should do.

Thanks again for your interest.

Flemming

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 April 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out this Birth Reg?:

BASIL B Douglas, June 1926,  Newcastle upon Tyne, 10b 162
Mothers maiden name BENNETT
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 April 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish

Many thanks for your post. Yes, Basil’s progress through life has been established and he’s a different person to Sarah’s son.

Best wishes
Flemming

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Ok, sorry I cant help more.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 April 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Moderator comment: Poster's comments deleted as they are not in the spirit of Rootschat
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).