Author Topic: Denne v Denne 2  (Read 362 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Denne v Denne 2
« on: Sunday 23 April 17 00:46 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me decipher this extract from a record in the Court of Cancery. I am trying to work out who this relates to and what is going on. I think I can make out the following "Henry Denne of Littlebourne in the County of Kent, Yeoman, Presented his Bill of Complaint into this Most Honorable Court of Chancery against Michael Denne Richard Austen Robert Simpson John Hollom Thomas Citte and Vincent............ Defendants".

Would someone be able to check I've read this correct and fill in the gaps? The original document is longer and I think the Michael Denne referred to here is my ancestor. If I can establish the exact date of this document and relationships between those mentioned I could establish if this relates to my direct ancestor or to his uncle.

Any help would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks
Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Denne v Denne 2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
If I can establish the exact date of this document and relationships between those mentioned I could establish if this relates to my direct ancestor or to his uncle.

The exact date of the document is given in the AALT Wiki (http://www.uh.edu/waalt/index.php/C78_1637) as 28 June 1637.

Decret(um) int(er) Denne & Denne & al(ios) (= Decree between Denne & Denne & others)
Whereas in the Terme of St Michaell the Archangell in the eleaventh yeare of the
Raigne of our Soveraigne Lord the King(es) Maiestye that nowe ys Henry Denne of
littleborne in the County of kent yeoman p(re)ferred his Bill of Complaynte into this most
honorable Courte of Channcery against Michaell Denne Richard Austen Robert Simpson
John Hollam Thomas Bitte and Vincent Billingher Defendant(es) Declareing by the
same that John late Lord Archbishopp of Canterbury being seized in Fee in the ...

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Denne v Denne 2
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
If I can establish the exact date of this document and relationships between those mentioned I could establish if this relates to my direct ancestor or to his uncle.

The exact date of the document is given in the AALT Wiki (http://www.uh.edu/waalt/index.php/C78_1637) as 28 June 1637.

Decret(um) int(er) Denne & Denne & al(ios) (= Decree between Denne & Denne & others)
Whereas in the Terme of St Michaell the Archangell in the eleaventh yeare of the
Raigne of our Soveraigne Lord the King(es) Maiestye that nowe ys Henry Denne of
littleborne in the County of kent yeoman p(re)ferred his Bill of Complaynte into this most
honorable Courte of Channcery against Michaell Denne Richard Austen Robert Simpson
John Hollam Thomas Bitte and Vincent Billingher Defendant(es) Declareing by the
same that John late Lord Archbishopp of Canterbury being seized in Fee in the ...

Hi

Many thanks for that. This extract is very interesting as I think (based on the names mentioned) that it refers to two of my direct ancestors.

I believe that Michael Denne is likely to be my ancestor Michael who was born in Littlebourne in 1589. He married his cousin Alice Nethersole (born 1589) and their daughter Elizabeth Denne was married to Vincent Billinghurst in Littlebourne in 1634.

I know that Michael had a cousin named Henry and I also know that two sisters married into the Austen family. I think that the Richard Austen referred to here could be Michael's uncle or cousin.

My question here is whether or not "Vincent Billingher" refers to Vincent Billinghurst? What do you think? I have seen the name written as Billingherst, Billinherste, and Billinghest, so I suspect it's likely.

I'll have to take another look at this full document along with the family tree to hand.

Many thanks again for the help

Matt