Author Topic: How many Captain William Johnstons died in India in 1862?  (Read 516 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How many Captain William Johnstons died in India in 1862?
« on: Sunday 23 April 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
There's several newspaper reports in Britain of the death of Capt George Johnston of the Madras Army at Bangalore on 12 May 1862.

There is the a will of a William Johnston Esq, Captain of the European Veterans on the Madras Establishment in the British India Office wills.  I only have the first page on the memory stick and not the second page, which I thought I had saved.  It is filed under 1862 although there is nothing written in the will that says he died in 1862.  He wrote it in 1861.  It mentions his house in Madras and his children, but nothing about Bangalore.

Nothing in the will mentions any family back in Scotland, so it's difficult to know whether it is the same man. 

The trustees appear to be living in Madras.  They are Vans Agnew Esq (Wigtownshire origins, but some of the family had been in India for a few decades), William Rieirson Arbuthnot (his wife's paternal family, the Anstruthers, were from Fife) and  John Young.

I would be grateful for suggestions as to how I could confirm whether these are the same person or not. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How many Captain William Johnstons died in India in 1862?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
There's several newspaper reports in Britain of the death of Capt George Johnston of the Madras Army at Bangalore on 12 May 1862.

For the benefit of other readers, the 1862 newspaper announcements read as follows:

"At Bangalore, on the 12th May last, Captain William Johnston, of the Madras Army, son of the late Andrew Johnston. Esq. of Rennyhill"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
The Madras Register of Military Estates records the disposal of the estate of Captain W Johnstone Johnston, European Veterans, who died on 12 May 1862. Executor Arbuthnot.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Shaun.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
Note that the register does record his name as Johnston. I misspelt it as Johnstone