Author Topic: Frank Hobden WORLD  (Read 4682 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Hobden WORLD
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 April 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
TROVE has the Carysfort in Hobson's Bay (Melbourne) in May 1881
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/67204331

It was ordered with some other RN ships to leave the Cape for Melbourne in April 1881.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199520532

More about the proposed itinerary of the detached squadron, including the Carysfort, 1881
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38222634

Carysfort, and other ships, were in Melbourne for about 7 weeks
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5971626

Up to 70 deserters from the Carysfort
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/198491142  Page 21 far right column

So it seems possible that Frank did desert.  I can't see a marriage for him in England/Wales on Free BMD, but he could have married elsewhere.  A prior marriage may explain the reason for his marriage to taking place 12 years after the birth of their first child.

Frank's death certificate can be downloaded for about $24 and should give some useful information.
http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/search+your+family+history/

Judith

Alice Mary would have been only 11 in 1881, if her age at death is correct.

Seems odd that Alice's surname (If it's the same person) is recorded as SMITH in the births of Mary Ann WORLD, 1899 and William Henry WORLD 1900, and the deaths of John Henry Adam WORLD in 1967, and William Henry in 1938.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eupham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 April 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Thanks so much for this.

It's interesting you mention the SMITH link. I have a theory and maybe I'm drawing a long bow but I think that Frank Hobden WORLD may have married his cousin Alice May WORLD nee McCARTHY nee SMITH.

My reasons for this are -

1. There is an article in this thread where Alice pays respect to her son Frank World who was killed in WWI as well as her brother John Henry Adams SMITH. Maybe the maiden name of Alice and Johns Mother

2. Frank Hobden WORLDS mother's maiden names was Mary Ann ADAMS

3. Frank and Alice had a son Henry Adams WORLD

Maybe Frank's Mother and Alice's Mother were sisters. He may have jumped ship because he had family already living here.

A long bow?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 April 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
hmm - will have to have another look tomorrow.  Lots of on-line trees suggest that Mary arrived in Melbourne in 1863, aged 5 per Western Ocean from Liverpool.  Nationality: Irish
This child was not travelling with anyone else of the same surname. Looking at the image it's difficult to know whether the middle initial is "A" or not.  Shipping records are sometimes not very reliable.

There is an on-line a copy of Frank's naval service which gives the last date of service on the Carysfort as 6 June 1881 which was when that ship was in Melbourne.  Under the Discharged column it says: "Shore per order and request" and I'm not sure what that actually means.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 April 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

"Shore per order and request" may have meant a request for a posting to a RN Shore Station.

Gerry

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
RE 
1. There is an article in this thread where Alice pays respect to her son Frank World who was killed in WWI as well as her brother John Henry Adams SMITH. Maybe the maiden name of Alice and Johns Mother

John Henry (Adams) SMITH born 1876 reg #22900 was the son of George SMITH and Elizabeth WORLD (recorded as WORRALD) and they had a daughter Mary Alice born 1869 reg #22217.

So it looks like Frank may have married his niece?  Alice would have been aged 17 when their first child was born.

Essie

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:08 BST (UK) »
Great find Essie.

Elizabeth WORLD was married 3 times.

Firstly to Francis STEPHENS, Apr qr, 1853 at Portsea Island.  Vol 2b, p670

Francis STEPHENS, 26, carpenter, wife, 1 child and 1 male infant arrived as assisted immigrants, per Castilian, 13 May 1857.  They left the immigration depot on 27 June "on own a/c" i.e. not to an employer.

Then to George SMITH 1870, #4239

And to George Frederick WRIGHT in 1890 #9135, using the surname STEPHENS.

According to the death notice posted by Cup of Life her children's surnames were: SMITH and STEPHENS (also married names for Mrs Alice World, Mrs E. McEwan); she was grandmother of Edward WRIGHT.

Judith

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:53 BST (UK) »
No wonder I couldn't find any marriages for Elizabeth nee WORLD. I tried to work back from the death of Elizabeth WRIGHT without success.

Elizth Sarah WRIGHT age 79 died 1915 at Richmond
Parents were Geo Jno WORLD and Mary Ann ADAMS
Reg. #11038

Essie

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
Interesting to note that when Alice Mary WORLD ("relict of Frank Hobden WORLD")died 1938, the entry in the Victorian BMD index gives her parents as "unknown" .  Was it deliberate to not note her parents? I would have thought her children were of an age to have known her background .

I note also that Alice Mary SMITH was born before the marriage of her parents.

And now, where does the name McCARTHY come from?

Judith