Author Topic: Hatton Garden, Liverpool  (Read 2641 times)

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hatton Garden, Liverpool
« on: Sunday 23 April 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
I have just found my grandmothers birth certificate after searching about 10yrs for her, it states that she was born at 5 Hatton Gardens,Liverpool. Can anyone tell me if this was a hospital or similar, my grandmother was illegitimate.It didn't help me finding her when the name my mother gave me was completely different from the one she was actually born with.
Thanks Pat
Chapman - Antrim/Liverpool
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hatton Garden, Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
What year was she born

If you Google "Hatton Gardens Liverpool". There is information about it
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Going into Hatton Garden from Dale St. on the left there used to be the linked Police and Fire Stations. From memory they were low even numbers.  So number 5 would be on the right.  In the 1960's there was a medical building on the right you could get immunisations there etc.  Possibly that was in previous years a hospital.

I'm sure a RootsChatter will be able to give you more accurate information.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info as it was 1877 it could quite easily have been a hospital then, her mother actually lived in Pall Mall which looking at an old map is not far away
Pat
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
On the Lancashire On Line Parish Clerk Project there is a baptism for Jessy Louise Copland child of George Copland & Emily Hasted dated 27 January 1878 the address is 5 Hatton Gardens Liverpool and the father's Occupation Superintendent of the Fire Brigade. It looks as if it was a house used for Fire Brigade personnel.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 April 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
It could be the Section House which was in front of the fire station. See the Town Plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/334518/390766/13/100871

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 April 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
Per the 1881 census and 1881 Gore's Directory, the Police Section House was at 3 Hatton Garden, and number 5 was the Central Fire Station.  The Superintendent of the Fire Brigade lived there with his family, and there were also two resident ostlers.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
The section house sounds a good bet, I don't think her mother had any connection with fire or police (unless the unknown father was stationed there!) It's all very intriguing, the whole road to finding my grandmothers birth has been intriguing. My mother always insisted her name was Ada Boston but it turns out her birth name was Edith Pritchard, but by the time she was baptised 18months later in Shropshire her name had become Ada Boston the plot thickens. Thanks for your help everybody
Pat
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 April 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
The section house sounds a good bet

The residents of the Section House (3 Hatton Garden) were almost entirely single male PC's so that would be an unlikely place for a birth.

As I mentioned previously, 5 Hatton Garden was the Fire Station. There was family accommodation there for the superintendent, and quarters for the ostlers; also stables.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk