Author Topic: Finding Leslie Roberts of Wales  (Read 2581 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Leslie Roberts of Wales
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 April 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could you please attach the link for the passenger list of ascania. Is there a way to track if this person ended up in Lethbridge in 1938? Or if he connect with a Jean McQuade?

Both passenger lists are on Ancestry within the record set 'UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960'.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 01:22 BST (UK) »
If I am reading your posts correctly, you don't have Thomas William Roberts' birth certificate.   If that is so, then I really think you need to obtain a copy of it.   You seem to know he was born in Lethbridge, Alberta and so should apply there for a copy of it.   Your posts also seem to indicate that Leslie and Jean McQuade weren't married and, if so, I wonder how Thomas William was a Roberts and not McQuade.

You don't appear to know about Jean McQuade either except that her family resided in Ontario.   How did you find this out?   The only Jean McQuade I can find in Canada on the 1921 census was bc.1919 Alberta and in 1921 was living with her parents James N. and Annie McQuade plus 3 older siblings in Edmonton, Alberta.

As with any genealogical search I think you definitely need to find and obtain Thomas William Roberts birth certificate to confirm the names of his parents (rather than just go by what is on his death/marriage certificates).

It's a shame the Leslie Glyn Roberts I'd mentioned earlier who died aged 21 in 1945 was ruled out due to his age.  He actually arrived in US then Canada as a student in September 1940 aged 17 (actually born 27/6/1923).  Alas, 2 years after Thomas William said to have been born!  As already explained, there doesn't seem to be a Leslie G (Glenn/Glyn) Roberts birth that fits your man, nor any other likely young man arriving in Canada that would fit.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can see another Jean McQuade on the 1921 census.. aged 9, living in Ottawa, Ontario with her grandmother Jane McQuade (listed as head of the family), Ritchie and Margaret McQuade (son and daughter in law of Jane... and likely parents of Jean), and a Ritchie McQuade, aged 7, grandson to Jane McQuade. 

Annette is right about the birth cert - it would be a good idea to obtain that and then start working backwards from there.   :)

RK