Author Topic: Finding Leslie Roberts of Wales  (Read 2582 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Leslie Roberts of Wales
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 April 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you know when &/or where Leslie Glenn Roberts died? If so what was his age at death?

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 April 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder if his name could have been Leslie Glynn Roberts?  Thomas was born in Lethbridge and Lethbridge Herald reported the war death of someone with above name, son of a Mrs C H Rawlinson of Cheshire, England. WW2 Service Files for Canada show him as J19302 next of kin Kathleen Rawlinson. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 April 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Having taken a look at passenger lists, two possibles present themselves & they are as follows:

Possible number 1

On board the 'Montcalm' from Liverpool to Quebec & Montreal which departed 27th April 1928 were the following family:

Roberts, Ernest; Farmer; age 42
Roberts, Sarah; Housewife; age 48
Roberts, Phyllis; Domestic; age 19
Roberts; Ernest; Farming; 17
Roberts; Albert; Farming; age 15
Roberts, Leslie; Farming; age 14
Roberts, William; Scholar; age 11

They all travelled 3rd class to Quebec & all had as their last address in the UK '43, Llanlayo/e Street, Bargoed. Bargoed is a parish straddling the borders of the counties of Glamorganshire & Monmouthshire in South Wales.

Possible number 2

On board the 'Ascania' from Southampton to Quebec & Montreal which departed 18th May 1929 was the following person:

Roberts, Glyn; Aeroplane Pilot; age 37

He travelled 3rd class to Quebec & gave his last UK address as 'Bryn Aber, Llanwndr, North Wales. I think that I have read the address right! The words Bryn & the North Wales bit are the only bits that I am sure about!

I should stress that these are only possibles until or otherwise proven.

Having just caught Annette's post perhaps the second possible is more likely.

Would have posted this slightly earlier, but inadvertently deleted half my post & had to retype it! ::) Grrrr.

Hope these help anyway.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 April 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

That Leslie was only 21 when he died at the beginning of 1945. He is on CWGC.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2940345/ROBERTS,%20LESLIE%20GLYN

Service Number is the same but a bit of a muck-up on the parents?

Son of Dr. Henry Charles Roberts, M.B., Ch.B., and of Kathleen Roberts, of Oxton, Birkenhead.

Giggsy

PS Nice try though!

Offline GenealogistInTraining

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 April 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Wish I had more information to go off for you guys. I don't know when Leslie would have passed and when.

Could you please attach the link for the passenger list of ascania. Is there a way to track if this person ended up in Lethbridge in 1938? Or if he connect with a Jean McQuade?

Hi,

Having taken a look at passenger lists, two possibles present themselves & they are as follows:

Possible number 1

On board the 'Montcalm' from Liverpool to Quebec & Montreal which departed 27th April 1928 were the following family:

Roberts, Ernest; Farmer; age 42
Roberts, Sarah; Housewife; age 48
Roberts, Phyllis; Domestic; age 19
Roberts; Ernest; Farming; 17
Roberts; Albert; Farming; age 15
Roberts, Leslie; Farming; age 14
Roberts, William; Scholar; age 11

They all travelled 3rd class to Quebec & all had as their last address in the UK '43, Llanlayo/e Street, Bargoed. Bargoed is a parish straddling the borders of the counties of Glamorganshire & Monmouthshire in South Wales.

Possible number 2

On board the 'Ascania' from Southampton to Quebec & Montreal which departed 18th May 1929 was the following person:

Roberts, Glyn; Aeroplane Pilot; age 37

He travelled 3rd class to Quebec & gave his last UK address as 'Bryn Aber, Llanwndr, North Wales. I think that I have read the address right! The words Bryn & the North Wales bit are the only bits that I am sure about!

I should stress that these are only possibles until or otherwise proven.

Having just caught Annette's post perhaps the second possible is more likely.

Would have posted this slightly earlier, but inadvertently deleted half my post & had to retype it! ::) Grrrr.

Hope these help anyway.

Kind regards

David

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 April 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Between 1900-1911 there are no births for a Leslie G or Glenn/Glynn Roberts in Wales

You can rule out any other births with a G in the registration between those dates as I have checked them all via the GRO site and none were Glenn/Glynn
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GenealogistInTraining

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Leslie Roberts Wales/Thomas William Roberts
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 April 17 01:34 BST (UK) »
Unless the death certificate didn't have the correct name  it would have to be after 1911 then. Is there anyway you suggest going about looking for information on his son then? Thomas William Roberts 1938, Aprill. He didn't acknowledge his children or anything so this will be difficult.

He was married: Linda Gerlitz(born 1945) in May 12 1964 Calgary
Divorced: nov 4, 1980

Between 1900-1911 there are no births for a Leslie G or Glenn/Glynn Roberts in Wales

You can rule out any other births with a G in the registration between those dates as I have checked them all via the GRO site and none were Glenn/Glynn

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 April 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Freebmd shows all births from September qtr 1911 with a mothers maiden name.  The GRO facility to check additional info on those births does not extend beyond 1916 (ie) full middle name. 

Births for Leslie G Roberts up to 1916 have been checked and none have the right middle name.

The next Leslie G entries are 1918 and 1919 so cannot be checked

Re: info about Thomas William Roberts.  Have you checked whether he left a will?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 April 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Do Canadian marriage certificates give father's names if yes who does Thomas give as his father?

Have you checked whether Leslie was born in Canada but of Welsh parents?