Author Topic: Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Bierman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor
« on: Sunday 23 April 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
I believe that my ancestors Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor might have come from Aghadowey Parish. My 3rd great Grandmother Katherine was born about 1812. Does anyone have access to Church records for Agadowey or other areas in Coleraine, for the early 1800's to check for a marriage for Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor or a baptism for Katherine Scott about 1812?

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
Cindy

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
There is an Archibald Scott and two Taylor families in the 1740 Protestant Householders report
Quote:
     In the 1740 Protestant Householders report for Londonderry. There was an Archibald Scott in Coleraine Barony Agadowey Parish
5033 Scott Scott Arch Coleraine Aghadowey Not specified

There were two Taylors in the same record in the same place
     5012 Taylor Taylor Thos Coleraine Aghadowey Not specified
5013 Taylor Taylor Jn Coleraine Aghadowey Not specified

Does anyone have any information on these families ?
 Wyanga   
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
I believe that my ancestors Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor might have come from Aghadowey Parish. My 3rd great Grandmother Katherine was born about 1812. Does anyone have access to Church records for Agadowey or other areas in Coleraine, for the early 1800's to check for a marriage for Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor or a baptism for Katherine Scott about 1812?

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
Cindy

What makes you think the families might have come from Aghadowey Parish? What denomination might they have been?
The dates are quite early to find records of most churches in the area (of which there are many). If you are considering 'Aghadowey' and 'Coleraine' then you also need to look at Macosquin and Agivey parishes (and perhaps further afield)
If you do get a townland or more information I can search through my files but in the mean time you probably need to check and recheck the information you already have.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bierman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

I am searching for concrete information on my ancestors, the names Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor - Ireland came from Katherine's death certificate in Scotland. The names in the 1740 Protestant householder report give the indication that they might have been their family. A marriage for Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor some time before 1812, would give me a place name and possibly their parent's names. Likewise for a baptism for Katherine in 1812. I think that they would have been Presbyterian, but not sure. My grandmother who passed years ago, stated the Katherine Scott was born in Ireland and her husband John Lynn (Linn) was born in Scotland. However, I believe that John Lynn died in Ireland prior to 1851, so he could be buried in the same area as they were married. Also, my Lynn male cousin has taken a DNA test just for the Lynn family, which shows that he is related to other Lynn males from this area.

Thank you again for your time and response to my post.
Cindy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
Now we might have a good clue  :)

Using DNA matches can you pinpoint names or locations for Lynns in Ireland?

Offline Bierman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 01:52 BST (UK) »
Using the DNA test, our Lynn family line is most closely related to another known Lynn family from Knockahollet, Loughguile Parish, which is just nine miles west of Drumreagh, Ballymoney Parish, where John Lynn and Katherine Scott's first child (that we know of) Peggy Jane was born in 1836. I will ask the other Lynn in the DNA test for his known Lynn family names in the area. There are several Archibald Scott listed in the area and some have been eliminated because their known wives names are not named Marion (Taylor). The next step (I'm thinking) is trying to figure out if the Scott and Taylor families in Aghadowey area can be proven to be related to my 3rd great grandmother Katherine Scott.

Wish I had more information. However, I do know that the Lynn family we were closely related to in the DNA project were weavers. We did see on our 2nd great grandfather's (Charles Lynn, son to John and Katherine Scott) military records that he listed his occupation as weaver. Perhaps this might help as well.

Thanks for the response. Your expertise and any help you can provide is much appreciated!
Cindy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
The latest details completely change suggestions based on original post.

Knockahollet is east of Ballymoney and approx. 9 miles east of Drumreagh Presbyterian Church. Some families from Agivey parish and eastern Aghadowey parish (Culcrow and Rhee for example) did attend Drumreagh but Scott and Taylor weren't really found there. There were, however, Scotts & Taylors on the Co. Antrim side of the Bann so that might be a more likely location.

Unfortunately Drumreagh baptisms don't start until 1860s.

'Marion' Taylor could have been Mary Ann thus even listed in records as Mary or Ann.

The Lynns, according to what has been passed down in my family, were Huguenot weavers who came from France to Ireland early on. Charles is a Christian name used in a Coleraine Lynn family but will check my files for any Lynns nearer Knockahollet.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 April 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
Alex Blair's history of Drumreagh notes that a Thomas Scott had the contract to draw the stones for building Drumreagh church in 1835, and there is another or the same ThomasScott in Drumreagh td in 1876 or 1877, with his wife unnamed. A baptism of 1864 was baby Wiliam Scott, son of Thomas and Eliza Scot of Drumreagh. Alexander Scot and daughter were in Bendooragh; William Taylor in Glengad

My ancestral Taylors were from Finvoy, several miles further south from Drumreagh

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 April 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Linde,
             It appears to me that there must be a family  connection for Catherine/Katherine to be in the Drumreagh area for the birth of her first known child in 1836. Either a Scott/Taylor connection or one for her husband John Linn/Lynn.
  From the Griffiths valuation Drumreagh is only a small townland of 265 acres with 38 different people present.
   These are the Taylors named in Rev Rand's 1817 census of the 1st Prebyterian Church Ballymoney:
     Polintamney [Polandtamney] 4 John Taylor Head of Family M 
Polintamney [Polandtamney] 4 Martha Taylor Wife  F
Polintamney [Polandtamney] 4 Matilda Taylor Daughter  F
Polintamney [Polandtamney] 4 Mary Taylor Daughter  F
Polintamney [Polandtamney] 5 Widow Taylor Head of Family  F
Polintamney [Polandtamney] 5 Isaac Taylor Son M 
Polintamney [Polandtamney] 5 Jacob Taylor Son M 
Polintamney [Polandtamney] 5 Sarah Taylor Daughter  F
Claughey [Claghy] 5 Jean Taylor [?]  F
Inshinagh [Insinagh] 16 Samuel Taylor Head of Family M 
Inshinagh [Insinagh] 16 Ann Taylor Daughter  F
Inshinagh [Insinagh] 16 Robert Taylor Son M 
Inshinagh [Insinagh] 16 Bess Taylor Daughter-in-law  F
Inshinagh [Insinagh] 16 John Taylor Grandson M 
Inshinagh [Insinagh] 16 Rachel Taylor Granddaughter  F
Inshinagh [Insinagh] 16 Samuel Taylor Grandson M 
Drumreagh 19 Widow Taylor Head of Family  F
Drumreagh 19 James Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 James Taylor Head of Family M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 Isabella Taylor Wife  F
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 John Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 Mary Taylor Daughter  F
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 Samuel Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 William Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 James Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 Moore Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 Jean Taylor Daughter  F
Carneatley [Carnatly] 1 Joseph Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 2 Alexander Taylor Head of Family M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 2 Ann Taylor Wife  F
Carneatley [Carnatly] 2 Jean Taylor Daughter  F
Carneatley [Carnatly] 2 Alexander Taylor Son M 
Carneatley [Carnatly] 2 John Taylor Son M 
Ballymoney Town 108 Samuel Taylor Head of Family M 
Ballymoney Town 108 Esther Taylor Wife  F
Ballymoney Town 108 Margaret Taylor Daughter  F
Ballymoney Town 108 William Taylor Son M 
Ballymoney Town 108 Jean Taylor Daughter  F
Ballymoney Town 108 Mary Ann Taylor Daughter  F
Ballymoney Town 108 John Taylor Son M 
Ballymoney Town 108 James Taylor Son M 
Ballymoney Town 108 Samuel Taylor Son M 

I see a Widow Taylor with a son James in Drumreagh, are any of the others located close to Drumreagh ? None of these had a daughter Marion who should have been about 5 in 1817.
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar