Author Topic: Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor  (Read 3653 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Scott and Marion Taylor
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
My mistake. It would have been Catherine/Katherine Scott who would have been about 5 in 1817.
  Marion was her mother.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Bierman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
The Lynn family from Knockahollet that my Lynn male cousin is found to be most closely related to through DNA can be found at http://ru198lynns.house-of-lynn.com/James%20Lynn.html

While there are three generations, the first and second generations are the ones that might help narrow the search to find Archibald Scott, Marion Taylor and their daughter Katherine Scott Lynn.

Thanks,
Cindy

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
Another, important reason to believe Bierman's Scott, Taylor, and Lynn ancestors might have come from Aghadowey is that the earliest known Lynn ancestor of Bierman's Lynn DNA match was actually born in County Londonderry in 1780 and moved to Knockahollet later. Aghadowey Parish, Ballymoney Parish (where Drumreagh is), and Loughguile Parish (where Knockahollet is) lie in a nearly straight line from west to east. Aghadowey is on the eastern border of County Londonderry, Ballymoney is on the western border of County Antrim, and the two parishes are adjacent to one another with Loughguile on the other side of Ballymoney. Also, the 1833 tithe applotments for Aghadowey Parish include: John Lynn Sr., John Lynn Jr., and Samuel Lynn in Gortin; Andrew Lynn in Knockaduff; and William Lynn in Mullinabrone. I wonder if there were any Scotts in any of those places.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 April 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
... Also, the 1833 tithe applotments for Aghadowey Parish include: John Lynn Sr., John Lynn Jr., and Samuel Lynn in Gortin; Andrew Lynn in Knockaduff; and William Lynn in Mullinabrone. I wonder if there were any Scotts in any of those places.

The Lynns from Mullinabrone & Knockaduff were originally from Gortin. Unfortunately church records in the area don't go back far enough. I can't recall finding any Scotts in these places.

Andrew of Knockaduff (born c1778), William of Mullinabrone (born c1780), Samuel of Gortin, possibly a David of Gortin & John of Gortin were brothers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey. Do you know anything about the marriage or children of Andrew Lynn of Knockaduff? The John Lynn that Bierman and I are looking for named his second son Andrew, which I know could mean Andrew was the name of either John's grandfather or his wife's father, but I've seen lots of families that didn't follow any particular naming custom.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 April 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Don't know father's name (wasn't Andrew, possibly John or James) but mother might have been Martha- both parents died when children were young.

Going from old set of notes:

Andrew had: Lily (1811), Martha (1813), James (1815), Andrew (1819), Archibald (1822), John (1825), Margaret (c1827).

William had: Catherine (c1829), Nancy, Martha Jane (1835), Andrew (c1827), Ellen, Hannah (c1835)- not in order and could be other children.

Samuel had: Martha Jane, John- could be other children.

David had: Elizabeth- could be other children.

John had: Robert, Jane, Margaret, Ann- could be other children.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 February 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking over my file on these Taylors and connections. In 1844 in Finvoy,  Rose Taylor of Maddykeel married James Hart.  Her father was Jacob Taylor. I see a Jacob in Wyanga's list; but he was in Polintamney in 1817, still at home with his mother, so the dates are possibly a bit tight for him to be Rose's father. Possible??, and the townland variation is also not out of the question. Anyone related to these Taylors?

Offline Bierman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 June 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Just realized that Archibald Scott is listed as a linen weaver on his daughter Catherine Scott Lynn Wright's death certificate in Scotland 1866. From some of the earlier posts, it sounds like some of the Lynn ancestors were weavers from Paris.

Post by: aghadowey
The Lynns, according to what has been passed down in my family, were Huguenot weavers
who came from France to Ireland early on.

Perhaps this is how John Lynn and Catherine Scott met. Through their families being weavers. Any thoughts?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 June 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
Weaving was a home industry and Aghadowey and vicinity was full of weavers in the early 1800s so unfortunately not really a clue. The Lynns, and other families of Huguenot descent, would have been settled in Aghadowey quite a bit before this period.