Author Topic: LILLIS Family in Co. Clare  (Read 4019 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
LILLIS Family in Co. Clare
« on: Monday 24 April 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am looking for an ancestor of mine, who immigrated to Australia around 1859/1860.
His name was George Lillis and he was born c.1836 in Co.Clare to a Thomas Lillis and a Bridget O'Dea. All I know of his parents is that Thomas was a farmer. I have little information on these parents of George's, however I also cannot find any record of his passage from Ireland to Victoria, where he married a lady by the name of Mary McKenna. I know he had three children with her, all born in Australia. Charles Lillis, Ellen Prest (nee Lillis), and Bridget Corbett (nee Lillis). He died in 1914 in Bendigo, Victoria and was buried in White Hills Cemetery, Victoria.
Any help would be amazing,
Thank you!
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: LILLIS Family in Co. Clare
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 04:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.   :)    You will surely get better help than I can provide, but . . . .

I've been looking at the shipping records at PROV and like you can't see anything.

. might he have arrived at another port in Australia?   (I am not too good at this looking caper - don't know how to look at other ports - sorry.  :()

Or might he have come as ships crew?   (The closest I can find is  Thomas Lally.)   There was a ship with many Irish Migrants about that time - the Ebba Brahe.   

I presume you have his death certificate which will tell you how long he was in the colony - I expect that's how you know about when he arrived - Correct?

Wiggy - willing but not very clever.   :( ;)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 17 04:29 BST (UK) »

I presume you have his death certificate which will tell you how long he was in the colony - I expect that's how you know about when he arrived - Correct?

Hi there,
I have his obituary in the newspaper local to where he lived, which mentioned that he was native of Ireland and had been in Australia for 53 years. Seeing as his death was in 1914, 53 years left me with 1861. However, this is an error as he was married in Victoria in 1860 to his wife, who had also left Ireland.

Thank you for looking at the records for me! I have looked at PROV but like you I couldn't find anything- which is unfortunate because I'd love to find it. I contacted the Immigration Discovery Centre in Vic (who don't have records on them but know generalized information) and they said it could be possible that the passengers were never recorded on a certain vessel or the records were destroyed. It's also possible that George arrived at another port in Australia- and at the moment I'm being led to believe that his wife, Mary McKenna, did too. I have looked in the NSW and QLD resources- still no result.

Thank you so much for your help!

Emmerson.

P.S- I see that you are also looking for a Brand family in Scotland- perhaps we're looking for the same one!
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 17 05:47 BST (UK) »
Cheers Emmerson,

Maybe we are!  Just had a look at your post . . .  don't think so somehow!   ;)

- - I am looking for Elizabeth Brand's family.
 - Elizabeth married George Johnstone in Applegarth, Dumfriesshire in 1821. Her parents were James and Agnes Brand, as found on her baptism record . . . but I can't go further back than that yet.   Still trying.

I think that the early 1850s was the time of the great famine in Ireland - but I also think your George was a bit late for that mass exodus.

Sometimes people seem to sneak in as crew members - specially if they couldn't pay their way.  I have one whom I presume entered the country that way . . .(boat person - shock horror!!) . . he was a sailor though so that is a fairly safe bet I think - just wish they would list the crews on all ships.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline reets3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is your George.  A George Lillis was a sponsor for a baptism of my relative in 1857; Parish of Doonbeg & Kilkee
Lone, McNamee, McCauley, Nolan, Hanley

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 20 20:21 BST (UK) »

Any chance that you can attach a link to your baptism record in 1857?

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo