Author Topic: Searching family of William Bishop Nimmo  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching family of William Bishop Nimmo
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
There's a 2 year old granddaughter in the 1851 census a Janet Brash? Am wondering if she was possibly Mary's daughter?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
There's a 2 year old granddaughter in the 1851 census a Janet Brash? Am wondering if she was possibly Mary's daughter?
In the transcription posted earlier by Normamac (Reply #1, yesterday) Janet Brash is listed as aged 9, not aged 2. The SP index also says she was 9. Where did you find her aged 2?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
I downloaded the census yesterday from Scotlands people & can now see I misread the hand writing.
So I guess there must be another daughter to Mary Bishop  from a previous marriage ?

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 01:39 BST (UK) »
Apologies Forfarian I think I shouldn't be attempting research at 2am with a foggy head :'( I totally missed your pure genius at work in discovering the mystery of Janet Brash & Marys first marriage .
Am most grateful to you,you truly are a whizz
Cheers
Kat

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you. But remember it is still only a theory - you need to get Janet Brash's marriage certificate to prove it. I could be completely wrong!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 April 17 05:13 BST (UK) »
It's been a long night of searching but I think I finally found Janet. Well I hope so!
Mary Bishops marriage to Lawrince Lowe in Livingston shows he was from Dysart Fife.
I believe Margaret to be the only child from this marriage born in Livingstone. I now believe she bore
An illegitimate child (Janet) to a William Brash.
Strangely I can't find Margaret since the 1851 census. A Janet Brash is recorded arriving in Australia from Scotland in 1860 aged 19,retained as a general servant in melbourne.She married Giovanni Derung from Switzerland & on marriage record has Janet's /Jessie's parents as Margaret Lowe/Louie & William Brash. They moved to NZ where she died in 1864.
Will not rule this theory out until I discover what happened to her mother Margaret Lowe.
Still hunting
Cheers
Kat

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 April 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
It's been a long night of searching but I think I finally found Janet. Well I hope so!
Very good, Kat!

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 September 17 08:10 BST (UK) »
 :)

Offline natashabc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 April 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
katsy 8
  i'ma descendant of William and Mary, they are my 3X great grandparents, can i ask where you got his middle name from? i've not come across it before
    thanks