Author Topic: Searching family of William Bishop Nimmo  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
Re: Searching family of William Bishop Nimmo
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 April 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
can i ask where you got his middle name from? i've not come across it before
It's very common for a child to be named after a grandparent or other relative. Quite often the baptism record doesn't include the middle name (i.e. the grandparent's surname), but it appears in later records.

It has been suggested to me, or I have read somewhere, that the kirk was only really interested in the first given name of a child, and tended to ignore any other names, but I have not seen any reliable authority for that suggestion.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching family of William Bishop Nimmo
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Natasha,
His full name is cited in the Australian cemetery Index ,Bishop being his motherís maiden name .
Would love to hear more from you
Cheers
Kathy

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.