Author Topic: Searching family of William Bishop Nimmo  (Read 7568 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Searching family of William Bishop Nimmo
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 April 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
I found a Mary Raeburn born in Banff 1782 parents Isobel Scott & James Reburn have also seen spelling Rayburn. Marriage to David Carson 1797 in Ayr.
You cannot and must not assume that Mary Reburn, born in Banff in 1782, is the one who married David Carson in Ayr in 1797.

Banff and Ayr are a very long way apart in 18th and 19th century terms, and the Mary Reburn born in Banff on 4 November 1782 was only 14 when David Carson married Mary Raeburn in Ayr on 14 May 1797. There are plenty of Mary Raeburns born in the southern part of Scotland and of a more marriageable age.

David and Mary had at least seven children:
Isobell, 1798
James, 1799
John, 1801
Andrew, 1803
William, 1806
David, 1809
Marion, 1811

IF they followed the naming tradition
First daughter after maternal grandmother
First son after paternal grandfather
Second daughter after paternal grandmother
Second son after maternal grandfather
Third daughter after mother
Third son after father
you would expect Mary Raeburn to be the daughter of John Raeburn and Isobel.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 April 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarion,
I had found the children to their marriage,but yet to find David & Marys birth.
Am still hunting so the tip of a possible John and Isobel being Mary's parents is a good start.
Many thanks.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 April 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Katsy, there was a John Bishop who married Elizabeth Burns, daughter of the poet, buried at Whitburn, West Lothian. I think he was the factor to Baillie of Polkemmet.

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 April 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Burns or Bishop
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3221805
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3221816

John Bishop died in 1857, aged 75. His parents were Thomas Bishop and Jane Weir. John Bishop and Elizabeth Burns had Elizabeth, 1807; Thomas, 1809; Jane, 1811; Helen, 1813; Mary Lion, 1815.

Thomas Bishop and Jean Weir were married in Whitburn in 1781 and had John, 1782; William, 1784; Ann, 1786; Helen, 1790; Robert, 1793; James, 1796; and George, 1798. There's also a listing of a child William to John Bishop and Jean Weir in 1788. I wondered if this John might be a clerical error for Thomas, and William another child of Thomas Bishop and Jane/Jean Weir. There is no record of a Mary who could be the wife of John Nimmo. (Doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't one, of course.)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh and Forfarian,
That would certainly be a wonderful connection ! Following the name tradition proved to be a great help as my gg grandmother Catherine Lang Nimmo daughter of William Bishop Nimmo & Mary Carson appears to have received her grandmothers name Catherine Lang so thank you for the tip.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
It occurs to me that the death certificate of Mary Bishop or Nimmo could be very useful. At the moment, the latest sighting of her seems to be that 1851 census. Has anyone found her in 1861 or later? Or a death certificate? Though there doesn't seem to be one in the SP index.

(I don't think she can be the Mary Bishop who died in Whitburn in 1871, aged 82. There is a Mary Bishop, widow, aged 69 at Half Way House, Whitburn in the 1861 census. In 1841 there is a family at Half Way House consisting of John Bishop, 55; Mary Bishop, 45; Sarrah Bishop, 15; John Bishop, 10; Sarrah Millar, 10; Sarrah Millar, 75; and two servants. So I think this Mary Bishop is probably Mary Millar, who married John Bishop and had a family in Whitburn including Sarah, baptised 30 August 1821, and John, baptised 11 December 1829.)

Could Mary Bishop or Nimmo have emigrated with her son William, or perhaps joined him later?

Also intrigued by Janet D Brash, who is listed in 1841 with the Bishop/Nimmo family as a baby and then as Mary Bishop or Nimmo's granddaughter in 1851. Who is her mother? Could she be the Janet Dick Brash who married John Calder in Uphall in 1877? The 1841 says she was one month old, which fits with the 1851 saying she was 9. So she was born in April/May 1841, and therefore conceived in July/August 1840. She can't be the child of Mary Nimmo, who was only 9 in 1841. Could she be the child of Margret Lowe, aged 21? And could Margret Lowe be a daughter of Mary Bishop, born before Mary married John Nimmo .... Eureka! There is a baptism of Margaret Low in Livingston on 16 January 1820, parents Lawrince Low and Mary Bishop. So if I am right, John Nimmo was Mary's Bishop's second husband. Janet's marriage certificate might clarify that.

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Both parents were deceased by 1856 according to William and Mary's marriage record. I've had no luck finding a death record between 1851-56

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Ah. Probably no death records then.

I wonder what happened to Mary Nimmo, who was 9 in 1841?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
A James Dick Calder, d.18 Dec'1908 age 64 Cancer, from Manchester, ex bank Manager!

Skoosh.