Author Topic: David Wilson died 1957  (Read 1832 times)

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great grandfather James Beazley
    • View Profile
David Wilson died 1957
« on: Monday 24 April 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
David Wilson died 15/07/1957 aged 76.  Is anyone able to give me a district/location for his death, or better still, where he's buried?  I'm hoping it's in the Canterbury/Christchurch area.
Thanks
Researching the following:
BRAY - Cornwall & Gloucestershire; GEAR - Aldershot, Somerset; CRIBBS - Lanarkshire, Berwickshire; RITCHIE & DUTHIE - Banffshire: BADLAND - Worcestershire; BEAZLEY - Surrey; RICHARDS & MASSEY - Staffordshire; BARROW - Kent; DIMOND & McSWIGGAN - Derry

I am here today because my ancestors dared to take a risk and travel half way round the world to start a new life, two as 15 year old boys without their families

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David Wilson died 1957
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hello...

Looks like he died in Havelock North

http://tinyurl.com/kogcs9z

Regards
Beg

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 17 06:40 BST (UK) »
A picture of the headstone.

http://cemeterybase.hdc.govt.nz/

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 17 06:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Back to the drawing board   :)
BRAY - Cornwall & Gloucestershire; GEAR - Aldershot, Somerset; CRIBBS - Lanarkshire, Berwickshire; RITCHIE & DUTHIE - Banffshire: BADLAND - Worcestershire; BEAZLEY - Surrey; RICHARDS & MASSEY - Staffordshire; BARROW - Kent; DIMOND & McSWIGGAN - Derry

I am here today because my ancestors dared to take a risk and travel half way round the world to start a new life, two as 15 year old boys without their families

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 17 07:02 BST (UK) »
Can you give us more information to help you?

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 April 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
Ok, a rather long explanation.  David BRAY born 4th May 1881 to James and Louisa at Akaroa.  After the death of his mother 2 years later he was "adopted" out to a Mrs WILSON.  Unsure if it was ever a formal adoption, so he could have gone under either surname.  NZ BDM records don't show any likely deaths under Bray, and the one I gave above tied in nicely. I was going to order the death certificate had it been in the Christchurch/Canterbury area.  A family letter in 1942 (he would have been 61 yo) confirmed he was married and living in the Christchurch area at that time. I have no idea who he married, and unfortunately David Wilson is such a common name it's hard to make any progress.  James Bray, his biological father,  new wife and rest of family subsequently moved to Taranaki shortly after David's "adoption"

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 April 17 08:29 BST (UK) »

Quote:

"James Bray, his biological father,  new wife and rest of family subsequently moved to Taranaki shortly after David's "adoption"

The rest of the family being David's sisters; Sarah Ann [1877] & Mary Annie [1879] ?

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, also their other siblings: Albert James (1873), Amelia (1871), William (1875)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:19 BST (UK) »
Quote from: kiwielaine
A family letter in 1942 confirmed he was married and living in the Christchurch area at that time.

Hi...

Does the 1942 letter actually call him "David". Just wondering because if you're unsure of his surname how sure are you of his first name.

And are there any other clues in the letter. An occupation might be helpful.

Regards
Beg