Author Topic: Elfed Lloyd Thomas - violinist  (Read 651 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Elfed Lloyd Thomas - violinist
« on: Monday 24 April 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Can anyone suggest where I can find information on Elfed Lloyd Thomas; the only lead I have is from a newspaper snippet published in the Merthyr Express dated 23 April 1927.  The entry, below, is from the Brithdir column by Frank West the Brithdir representative for the newspaper.   
“The numerous friends of Mr. Elfed Lloyd Thomas (LCV London) will be pleased to learn of the numerous successes which have crowned his efforts as a young violinist.  In some of his examinations which have been competitive to the British Isles his performances have reflected the highest credit upon him. Some of his achievements are: Intermediate, honours and distinction; Graduate, honours; Diploma of Associate, honours.  In his last examination Mr. Thomas came first in the British Isles.  The Diploma of Licentiate was secured by him when only 17 years of age and he was placed third in the British Isles.  He has also gained honours and distinction in Senior Theory.  He has won the Cardiff Centre Prize four-times in succession. Mr. Thomas is now filling the post of senior assistant teacher of the Cardiff School of Violin Playing.”
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Elfed Lloyd Thomas - violinist
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Roy :-)
are you looking for his parents or more information about his work career etc
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mar
I'm looking for as much info as possible.  I would like to know where he was living, who his parents were and details of his career......is that too much to ask?
Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 17 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy
I've  PM'd you
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Some of us would love to know what more can be said about this remarkable young man.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi pinot
I just wondered, with such a successful start as a young man there must be more to learn of his career.  I've not found much on his place of work, the 'Cardiff School of Violin Playing' or the 'Cardiff Centre prize'.