Author Topic: How far short of 100% birth-to-grave connectivity am I?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: How far short of 100% birth-to-grave connectivity am I?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
Are you also using the new GRO index to check for mother's maiden name listed on any births?

Nova, could you expand on that, please?

Martin

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
You can search the General Register Office (GRO) now for births and deaths which they have indexed. You register as if you were applying for a BDM certificate. Registration and searching is free. Each time you use it you need to log on and enter your password - or get the computer to remember it.
This is useful as it will give you mother's maiden name (as appears on the certificate)  commencing September 1837 and prior to September 1911. Good for checking if the person you think it is has the correct mother. If they were unmarried no maiden name is listed. Also sometimes worth checking if it is under a surname only as not all children were named by the time they were registered. Important to enter a gender.
You can also search for deaths on here with the additional information given being the age at death as appears on the certificate.  The only thing is it doesn't differentiate between their age in days, months or years for those who died as infants.

GRO Registration:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/register.asp?UserType=Individual

Search the GRO Indexes:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

After Sep 1911 you can search for the mother's maiden names on FREE BMD.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I hope this is what you meant...?

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Martin - I used the gro index to check all the Leggett children showing in the 1901 census with Jane Thompson. All show with surname Leggett mother's maiden name Adamson except for William ( 4months in 1901) who is recorded as Thomas William Thompson mmn Adamson.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
Here is an example with two births found on GRO:

JANE ADAMSON 1860 March Q Durham Mother's maiden name blank

JANE ADAMSON 1861 Dec Q Durham Mother's maiden name is Laverick

Looking at Free BMD there is a marriage of a John Adamson and Elizabeth Laverick in 1858 Durham Mar Q

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
Nova, Isobel, thank you.  I can't wait to try this in the morning.  Thank you.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Isobel, the "Thomas William Thompson mmn Adamson" bit I just don't understand.  Why did she revive 'Thompson'?  Thomas always used the name Leggett. 

Martin

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
I will need to look at the Census.  It isn't that Thompson is a middle name is it? As is the northern way.
Nova (after Novocastrian)
Girl with Geordie roots

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
I'll confess I am confused trying to follow it all. If this is your great grandmother Jane Adamson b.abt 1860, who do you then descend from (grandparents), and at birth what is the mother's maiden name listed as for that grandparent? Just trying to start at the beginning. Is this definitely connected to the Leggett's?
 I have modified this.
 Just read this on original post.
"Throughout the 1890s Jane and her new partner, (no record of a marriage though?!?!), George Leggett, had several more children, ending with my grandfather, Thomas William Leggett in 1900".
Sorry....

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
If the 1881 census entry is her then it looks like she may have been planning to go to Australia (NSW).

There is an immigration deposit journal from January 1882 which shows a George Smith aged 27 sponsoring Robert Smith 21 & Jane Adamson 20.  Jane was a domestic servant & the address given for both her & Robert was Town Hall Buildings, Henny Moor (Spennymoor?), Durham.  Robert Clough of Page Bank, Durham was named as a reference.  Amount paid towards passage was 5 (doesn't state if £ or s) and although Robert Smith arrived aboard the  Northampton 21 Oct 1882, under the column "Date of Refund of Deposit on account of non-arrival of Nominee" against Jane it has the date December 1882.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.